So I got pulled over.....

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Michael Brown

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I really hate to break this to you but the way I originally stated it is the way it is being taught in the CC classes by SDA instructors. I went thru the class last summer, had a friend go thru about a month later, and another friend went thru 3 weeks ago and we all got the same explanation of the law.
If this is truely not correct, maybe someone should make it a sticky.
And I could care less about selling guns. I dont sell guns, just buy them.
Apparantly some people on here need to go up a size or two on their tighty whiteys, stop with the "mean spirited personal attacks" and actually try to help someone every once and a while.

I sense you will be a short-timer.

Michael Brown

Buzzdraw

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
From an instructor's perspective (me) I teach this portion of the Oklahoma SDA this way.
  1. Per the Statutes, you must inform that you're carrying when the officer when he FIRST makes official contact.
  2. Tell the officer "I have a carry permit and I am carrying."
  3. Follow the officer's instructions.
  4. The official CLEET class curriculum does not include the statute mentioning the "no inspection". Yes, the statute does exist. Mentioning it tends to confuse the class because THE OFFICER HAS THE RIGHT TO DISARM and may do so, depending upon the circumstances.
  5. Make the officer's life easy; he (or she) only wants to go home safely at the end of their shift.
  6. If you think a particular officer has treated you unprofessionally, wait until some later time, then contact the officer's superiors.

ryanncass

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I got pulled over on an off ramp for doing 70 in a 55. I handed him my license and told him i was carrying. He asked where it was and said don't reach for yours I wont reach for mine. He came back and told me to slow down. I cant believe he did not ask where I was going though.

Electrician Mike

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I really am trying to find out the legitimate answer to this question, so earlier today I called the OSBI and asked them. After being transfered a couple of times I wound up talking with their legal department. The lady was very nice and eager to answer any question I had until she heard what it was. Apparently they receive this question quite frequently. Unfortunatly, we are both correct. They are very aware that there are two completely different interpretations to this section. The OSBI is unwilling to dedicate themselves either way as they do not wish to be involved in any lawsuit that may apply. According to them, it is up to each person with a SDA license, each department, or organization how they each will interpret it.

BadgeBunny

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I really am trying to find out the legitimate answer to this question, so earlier today I called the OSBI and asked them. After being transfered a couple of times I wound up talking with their legal department. The lady was very nice and eager to answer any question I had until she heard what it was. Apparently they receive this question quite frequently. Unfortunatly, we are both correct. They are very aware that there are two completely different interpretations to this section. The OSBI is unwilling to dedicate themselves either way as they do not wish to be involved in any lawsuit that may apply. According to them, it is up to each person with a SDA license, each department, or organization how they each will interpret it.

It's officer discretion. A few will make it a habit of disarming each CCW holder for the duration of the stop, some will never do it. I'd advise trusting your instincts. If the person is compliant, follows the rules and gives no reason to suspect them of anything, I wouldn't disarm. If they make those little hairs on the back of your neck stand up, disregard the CCW permit and disarm until you figure out why. At the end of the day, going home alive is the ultimate goal.

Inspection of the weapon is probably the last thing on the officer's mind. When you tell an officer you have a weapon, CCW or not, he has the option of securing the weapon for the duration of the contact. This is officer safety 101, not a weapons inspection. A weapons inspection would be to determine if the weapon had been used in a crime, or was listed as stolen in NCIC.

I have thick skin, I wont be run off this easy.

Your skin is not the only thing that is thick.

Latest posts

Top Bottom