So I think Remington did another faux pa

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mr ed

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Does it shoot a good group other than being to the right? If so you have a crappy scope mount system. A Redfield or Leupold base and rings will cure the problem. They have windage adjustment.

Jedabug92

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Does it shoot a good group other than being to the right? If so you have a crappy scope mount system. A Redfield or Leupold base and rings will cure the problem. They have windage adjustment.
Yea it shot great, but keep in mind it was at 25 yards, and it was also bore sighted to 25 yards, so the bore and the scope were looking at the same thing.
Everything was tightened down.

Shadowrider

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Did you use an optical boresighter or pull the bolt and visually look through it to match up the scope? I've had far better luck doing it the old low tech visual way.
Is your scope way off to one side in it's adjustment range? Your POI could be bedding, crown, eff'd up chamber. Lots of stuff, but if it really is bore sighted at 25 and it's hitting 6" off it's not your mount or how it's attached. That's provided it's installed properly and tight. I'd check the crown, bedding and action screws first.

Jedabug92

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Did you use an optical boresighter or pull the bolt and visually look through it to match up the scope? I've had far better luck doing it the old low tech visual way.
Is your scope way off to one side in it's adjustment range? Your POI could be bedding, crown, eff'd up chamber. Lots of stuff, but if it really is bore sighted at 25 and it's hitting 6" off it's not your mount or how it's attached. That's provided it's installed properly and tight. I'd check the crown, bedding and action screws first.

I kicked it old school, pulled the bolt, and in doing so I saw an odd anomaly near the end of the bore on the bottom left quater of the rifling, and yes I'd run out of windage adjustment before I'd be able to hit at 25 yards.
It's sitting in a Bell and Carlson A5 Stock, and with the last rifle that wasn't an issue, they put a Remington trigger on instead of my Timney but I kmow that wouldn't fix it, the crown looks good but I'm thinking about paying a visit to Master Jedi Baldwin and seeing if he can help.

Jcann

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The crown would be the last thing I would suspect after reading this article http://www.longrangehunting.com/articles/rifle-crown-1.php

What did remington say they did to your rifle if anything?

I think remingtons are a crap shoot anymore. Seldom do you hear of this type problem and other maladies with savage, winchester, Ruger, tikka, or Howa.

I watched a friend almost beat the bolt handle off a new Remington shooting factory 168 GMM due to chamber issues.

Jedabug92

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The crown would be the last thing I would suspect after reading this article http://www.longrangehunting.com/articles/rifle-crown-1.php

What did remington say they did to your rifle if anything?

I think remingtons are a crap shoot anymore. Seldom do you hear of this type problem and other maladies with savage, winchester, Ruger, tikka, or Howa.

I watched a friend almost beat the bolt handle off a new Remington shooting factory 168 GMM due to chamber issues.
Remington said I have to shoot their factory ammo to make sure, so I have to spend more money on the rifle.
But I'm betting it'll do what I think it's going to do, but I'll give it a fighting chance.

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Well Jedabug92 may be on here later to tell a story.
But I was with him today and looking down range through the barrel with bolt out at 100 yards the target was perfectly centered.
Look through the scope and target was perfectly centered.

Pull the trigger and the round lands 27" to the right.. squeeze another one off and same area 27" to the right.

Adjust the scope and you barely have enough adjustment to get there,, i would say 3 more clicks is all there was left maybe.

Pulled his scope off and stuck mine on it with my rings.. same deal, way right.
Pulled my bases and put on his action with my scope and rings , same deal way right.

I almost feel the end of the barrel is possibly pointing to the right.

Hey Jedabug92 do you have a straight edge you can test the straightness of the barrel with.

You can actually tape some fishing line to the action end of the barrel and slowly bring it to the muzzle end. see if it has a warp in it.

Other than that it does shoot decent groups.

Jedabug92

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Well Jedabug92 may be on here later to tell a story.
But I was with him today and looking down range through the barrel with bolt out at 100 yards the target was perfectly centered.
Look through the scope and target was perfectly centered.

Pull the trigger and the round lands 27" to the right.. squeeze another one off and same area 27" to the right.

Adjust the scope and you barely have enough adjustment to get there,, i would say 3 more clicks is all there was left maybe.

Pulled his scope off and stuck mine on it with my rings.. same deal, way right.
Pulled my bases and put on his action with my scope and rings , same deal way right.

I almost feel the end of the barrel is possibly pointing to the right.

Hey Jedabug92 do you have a straight edge you can test the straightness of the barrel with.

You can actually tape some fishing line to the action end of the barrel and slowly bring it to the muzzle end. see if it has a warp in it.

Other than that it does shoot decent groups.
That is the story though lol.

Just to verify all the accuracy is from the barrel right?

Latest posts

Top Bottom