So What Exactly Is Changing For NFA Trusts In July

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fishfurlife

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Yes, I also do trust amendments. Basically I just write an amendment to your trust to set it up just like my trusts. I charge the same price as writing a new trust - $200. The only thing about an amendment to an NFA trust is that you can't change the name of the trust... basically once an item is in the NFA registry with a particular trust as the owner, it can't be changed. If you have a trust with a real long name, it can be a PITA to have it engraved on an SBR/SBS/Form 1 can. In that situation, it is best to just have a second trust written with a short name and put those items in it.
Great idea except that moving an item from
One trust to another would require a change of possession and $200 more per NFA item to legally do it. That's asinine.

henschman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I wasn't talking about moving items from one trust to another -- I was talking about amending your existing trust. Amending your trust doesn't require doing a transfer of any items.

That's why I said you can't really change the name of a trust. The only real way to accomplish that would be to do what you are talking about and make a whole new trust with the name you want, and pay the transfer fee to transfer the items from one trust to the other.

I have had clients who have had a trust with an inadvisably long name ("John Jacob Doe Irrevocable Living Trust" or something like that) with only suppressors in it, and when they wanted to buy an SBR I advised them to just make a new trust and put it and all other future Form 1 items in it so it could have a shorter name engraved on it. Nothing wrong with having more than one trust... you just have to keep the trustee situation squared away. My trusts make that easy though.

Latest posts

Top Bottom