So while I was in Branson I hit the range

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NightShade

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
And there was a guy there who was shooting a Glock 42. He was having tons of issues with it, like would fire a round and FTE, stovepipe or not pick up a fresh round and jam. He kept blaming the "cheap ammo" he bought from walmart.

Has anyone else come across something like this? How did you try to explain that the firearm and ammo was in perfect order and the shooter was the problem?

He had offered me to shoot it so I went ahead and ran a mag with ZERO issues. He was limp wristing it as far as I could tell and I did my best to explain it but not be a major &$$#0113 about it. He ran some more and did better but still had some issues and they steadily got worse as he was shooting. As I was leaving he was speaking to some other people about why a 380 was better since there would be less of a chance of over penetration if needed for defense compared to a 9mm or .40 S&W. I just shook my head and stayed out of it since honestly I didn't feel it was worth stirring things up and pointing the guy out as a derp who will probably have more issues due to control than anything else. I left with him standing there talking to some other people about it and headed out to enjoy my Thanksgiving.

Jwryan84

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
And there was a guy there who was shooting a Glock 42. He was having tons of issues with it, like would fire a round and FTE, stovepipe or not pick up a fresh round and jam. He kept blaming the "cheap ammo" he bought from walmart.

Has anyone else come across something like this? How did you try to explain that the firearm and ammo was in perfect order and the shooter was the problem?

He had offered me to shoot it so I went ahead and ran a mag with ZERO issues. He was limp wristing it as far as I could tell and I did my best to explain it but not be a major &$$#0113 about it. He ran some more and did better but still had some issues and they steadily got worse as he was shooting. As I was leaving he was speaking to some other people about why a 380 was better since there would be less of a chance of over penetration if needed for defense compared to a 9mm or .40 S&W. I just shook my head and stayed out of it since honestly I didn't feel it was worth stirring things up and pointing the guy out as a derp who will probably have more issues due to control than anything else. I left with him standing there talking to some other people about it and headed out to enjoy my Thanksgiving.

Sounds like you did what you could. Sometimes you just have to say, quit being a baby, but it just sounds bad

NightShade

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Where is the Range in Branson? Indoor?
I've shot a couple rounds of trap at the outdoor range on the highway to Springfield just North of Branson.
Public outdoor range. It's a little farther north of the trap range. No shotguns allowed on this one and they have three main "lanes" one around 15 to 20 yards one around 25 to 30 yards and another closer to 100 yards. There is a rock quarry that you pass on the way in to get there, but it's part of a state forest.

https://www.google.com/maps/place/B...4d6830f7!8m2!3d36.8632554!4d-93.2361194?hl=en

I agree that a 380 has no chance to over penetrate unless they are a MAJOR meth head, in which case it will go right through their bony stomach and they will not even notice it as they come after you to cram it down your throat. But I would imagine on most targets it will tend to under penetrate which could end up worse for you.

druryj

In Remembrance / Dec 27 2021
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Sounds like you did what you could...

I tend to agree...Well, maybe you could have sugggested he go check out www.okshooters.com too. Think of all the expert advice and friendly help he would have gotten. Seriously, many of us have seen this type of guy before: Dude goes to the LGS, buys a firearm, and poof! Like magic, ownership equates to knowledge about firearms, at least in his mind. So when things aren't going as he expects, it's obviously a problem with the gun or ammo.

rlongnt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Other than explaining to someone at a gun show that Rijas was full of $H!t and a foreword assist DOES have value/explained how my trusty USMC issued M16A2 ALWAYS needed it terribly in freezing rain/sleet etc., I do my absolute best to stay out of other people's business.

As for caliber, don't listen to me I think 357 Sig is the greatest thing ever. Yep I'm weird like that... LOL

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Public outdoor range. It's a little farther north of the trap range. No shotguns allowed on this one and they have three main "lanes" one around 15 to 20 yards one around 25 to 30 yards and another closer to 100 yards. There is a rock quarry that you pass on the way in to get there, but it's part of a state forest.

https://www.google.com/maps/place/B...4d6830f7!8m2!3d36.8632554!4d-93.2361194?hl=en

I agree that a 380 has no chance to over penetrate unless they are a MAJOR meth head, in which case it will go right through their bony stomach and they will not even notice it as they come after you to cram it down your throat. But I would imagine on most targets it will tend to under penetrate which could end up worse for you.

I know where that rock quarry is.
Thanks for the heads up. I'll have to check to see if they have competitions so I can participate next time we go trout fishing that area.

NightShade

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
No problem. I doubt they have any competitions on that range and I think it's closed on Monday's or Tuesday's for whatever work they may want to do in that area.

Latest posts

Top Bottom