Some blades

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ez bake

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
So I picked up a Busse Combat Skeleton Warden from the big W show, and I had already picked up one of Bill Coye's RidgeBacks, but somehow that wasn't enough, so I ordered this TOPS scalpel and an ESEE Izula.

Izula hasn't arrived yet, but here are its brothers:

[Broken External Image]

[Broken External Image]

The Scalpel was seriously smaller than I thought it was going to be. The place I bought it from on ebay was super-fast with the shipping. The Izula should be here tomorrow.

Check out the Scalpel in my hand:

[Broken External Image]

I feel like the Izula and the Busse are sort of redundant, which is odd, because I'll never get rid of the Busse, but I don't want to get rid of the Izula either.

The scalpel is great in every way except for the fact that the sheath covers too much of the scales making a good grip before you draw it from the sheath difficult - fortunately, the locking part of the sheath is on the top scale-screw on the handle and it just has a bunch of extra kydex extending down the scales, so I can trim some off and it won't affect function at all (except, I'll be able to get a way better grip on it). The Metal swivel-clip is awesome - I can adjust it without tools to any angle I want and the rubber washer makes it stay at the angle I put it.

Check out the spine on the Scalpel - as frail as it looks from the profile, once you check out the spine, you've got no doubt in your mind that this thing is made for working hard.

[Broken External Image]

[Broken External Image]

adluginb

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Hey whats the ebay sellers name for the scalpel? You can pm if you like. They're all sweet and I think you will like the Izula as well. There are some new Busse Wardens on ARFcom for sale that are really tempting me. Don't get rid of any of them. If need just buy another GHB or SHTF bag and put one in it.

ez bake

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Dang that scapel looks useless from the side. When you see the spine your opinion definitely changes.

I love my Izula II.

I know right? I read the online specs for it and it said 1/4" spine and I thought to myself "no way", but I looked up some pics and was blown away. Even with the length-specs given to me, I somehow thought it was bigger than it ended up being in real life.

It reminds me of the fatty wardens. I am looking into a way to have a CNC machinist friend fab up some custom G10 or Linen Micarta scales made for my Skelly Warden so it can act like a Game Warden when it wants to (I want to use similar screw/barrel-connector hardware to the ESEE or TOPS knives so I can replace the scales when I want to), so it might become the game warden I want and the Izula might end up as the Neck knife that cuts its first deer.

I keep teetering on the Ridgeback. It has a taste for my blood with that shorty handle and long blade, but that's what I both hate/love about it. It fits a niche that none of my other knives fit, but I'm also very much not used to a knife with a handle that short (especially one that's deceivingly fat - which gives you great control even with a shorter handle, but I keep over-reaching up past the choil onto the blade).

Its cut me 3 times now and none of my other EDC knives have ever done that. To be fair, I've used the Ridgeback a lot more than the others because I really want to see how much it takes to dull the blade (so far, a lot of boxes, huge zip-ties, tree limbs bothering me in the deer stand, a few horse apples, and some tree-bark have not even phased the edge on the blade).

And I'm starting to think that I really don't have a need for this many knives, but for now, I'll keep them and put them all through their paces (I still want a scrapyard dog, an ESEE 3 or 4, and ESEE HEST fixed-blade, and possibly an ESEE 5 or 6).

ez bake

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Hey whats the ebay sellers name for the scalpel? You can pm if you like. They're all sweet and I think you will like the Izula as well. There are some new Busse Wardens on ARFcom for sale that are really tempting me. Don't get rid of any of them. If need just buy another GHB or SHTF bag and put one in it.

His name was: ezeedeal and his store is here:

http://stores.ebay.com/EzeeDeaL

I ordered it on Tuesday night and he got it to my doorstep on Friday.

338Shooter

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I want a ridgeback. If you decide to let that one go I'd like to be the first to know. I'm really hoping to win the raffle for the alfa echo. That is a sweet knife. It will give me a reason to finally put together a serious BOB.

Rolando

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I see you like those thick blades. I suggest an ESEE 5 next. That thing is a monster. Thicker than the 6. Did you order the Izula II or the original? I just put in an order for an Izula II for me and a couple for my boys for Christmas. I think the extra handle length and scales instead of skeleton will fit my hands better.

ez bake

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I see you like those thick blades. I suggest an ESEE 5 next. That thing is a monster. Thicker than the 6. Did you order the Izula II or the original? I just put in an order for an Izula II for me and a couple for my boys for Christmas. I think the extra handle length and scales instead of skeleton will fit my hands better.

I did the Izula original (with no scales yet). I think my hands are small enough that it will fit me well. I honestly didn't know whether to go with the Becker/ESEE collaboration (the Escabar - a combination of the longer becker blade on the Izula frame), the Izula I or the Izula II and ended up going with the original.

I'm pretty excited to get the Izula - I miss my RC3 from back in the day and I've already pre-ordered the HEST folder, so I'll start back into the world of ESEE/RAT soon enough.

I've heard stories of how much of a beast the 5 is - that actually intrigues me to almost get one over the scrapyard dog.

Latest posts

Top Bottom