Some neat stuff I scored

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

APeterson

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
How does collecting Nazi items make you have a fetish for them?? I've got a few pieces of Nazi stuff, along with some Russian Communist propaganda, and Japanese items from WWII. These items are part of history and extremely interesting.

Now if your jack booting down main street with a bunch of neo-nazi's you need your head checked.

BUT that's your god given right, and I'll defend your right to make a ass of your self any day.

I agree. If you disregard history you are bound to repeat it.
There is nothing wrong with collecting WWII memoribilia if it is for historical significance.

Brandi

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I guess if someone collects that stuff for it's historical significance that's one thing but those that collect it because they think it's cool or they count themselves among the followers that's another thing. I wouldn't allow it in my house for any reason.

Bhargrin

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
That is a beautiful yet rare find, representing one of the many troubled times in history. This is a schutzstaffle standard bearers gorget post 1938 model. This model was commissioned after the fall of the SA and assassination of SA leader Earnst Rohm, which led to what was called the "Night of the Crystal", and the destruction of many Jewish store fronts and businesses. Leaving the streets covered in broken glass. Against the reflection of the moonlight sparkled like crystal, hence the name "Night of the Crystal."

In Hitlers grand scheme of gaining power he eliminated a major obstacle before him, his boss the leader of the SA party Earnst Rohm, following the assassination the SS party was quick to blame the Jewish community even providing the body of the claimed Jewish assasin, leading to the night of rioting and attacking anything Jewish by the German people.

Until 1938, SS standard bearers wore the SA/SS Kornet gorget. In September 1938, at the 'Reichsparteitag Großdeutschland', a new pattern gorget, designed specifically for the SS, was introduced in which the SA runes were removed. This large and imposing gorget features a unique, massive, antique silver finished eagle mounted on the smoked silver shield. The shield bosses feature raised SS runes, and the reverse of the gorget retains its original light green wool backing. The gorget tang on the reverse is marked 'RZM M1/128', which is the maker's code for Eugen Schmidhäussler of Pforzheim. This company also made the Political Leaders standard bearer gorget. This is a beautiful and striking gorget, produced in relatively small numbers, and rarely found today.

I would recommend you get this appraised as is. The last one I saw at auction that was complete and in excellent condition sold for over $8k. A word of caution, do not try and clean this piece leave the patina alone. So many times people try to clean an artifact only to destroy its value. I agree with the previous post you have a nice museum piece.

There is a market for such items but it is somewhat niche specific. You will find those who enjoy history will be very interested in such a beautiful piece. To many times, people of limited education just get hung-up on the representation instead of the historical significance of a piece.

In today's history, we only teach of the 6 million Jews murdered by the NAZI party. However, if you look deeper at the era you will find the NAZI party actually murdered over 18 million people. Add to that the 42 million murdered by the Russians under Stalin, and you can quickly see the times were very dark. Of course, we do not speak of those murdered by the Russian communist party due to the simple fact they were allies at the time.

Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it.
George Santayana, The Life of Reason, Volume 1, 1905

On the knife are there any markings?

milsurp2.0

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Sorry. Thought I posted the pic of the luftwaffe eagle over the 5.

Attachments

• parts 270.jpg
    parts 270.jpg
    98.3 KB · Views: 180

Perplexed

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Bhargrin, a bit of correction in your historical narrative. Ernst Rohm was not Hitler's boss - he was Hitler's chief of staff of the SA, and was eliminated because Hitler viewed him as a dangerous rival. Also, the "Night of Crystal (Broken Glass)" took place in 1938, four years after Rohm was killed. You may be thinking of the "Night of the Long Knives" when Rohm and several other leading Nazi's were arrested and neutralized one way or the other.

Dukester

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
That gorget looks exactly the same size as the ones used by the "chained dogs" of the Wehrmacht and SS. Nice find, but you know someone will take exception to this thread :wink2:

I take exception to this thread! I can only be appeased by shipping the offensive items DIRECTLY to my current place of residence in a timely manner. That is all.

Bhargrin

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Bhargrin, a bit of correction in your historical narrative. Ernst Rohm was not Hitler's boss - he was Hitler's chief of staff of the SA, and was eliminated because Hitler viewed him as a dangerous rival. Also, the "Night of Crystal (Broken Glass)" took place in 1938, four years after Rohm was killed. You may be thinking of the "Night of the Long Knives" when Rohm and several other leading Nazi's were arrested and neutralized one way or the other.

you are right I wrote off the top of my head, I try not to remember to much of it. I lost to many family to the NAZIs. Being half German I lost on both sides in that war.

I mostly remember Hitler used Rohm and his SA to get his fledgling SS going.

Thank you for clarifying my error.

TedKennedy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Is anyone offended by collecting US Marine memorabilia from WWII? I see many are taken aback by the Nazi pieces, I was just wondering...

Latest posts

Top Bottom