Somebody tell me what I bought............

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Perplexed

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Ah - it's too bad the rifle has both a sporterized stock and an aftermarket peep sight. As 2.0 said, it's probably not cost-effective to re-stock the rifle. I agree with the general sentiment of just enjoying the rifle "as is". For grins, you could try removing the stock to see if the rifle's S/N (or last three digits) are stamped in the barrel channel. With all those stock mods though, I'd be surprised if it was the original article.

WessonOil

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Seeing as to how guys are winning military bolt action rifle matches with M96's with incredibly small groups in all original configuration, I'm not sure what putting this in a custom stock was going to gain for the original owner. :)

RickN

Eye Bleach Salesman
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Seeing as to how guys are winning military bolt action rifle matches with M96's with incredibly small groups in all original configuration, I'm not sure what putting this in a custom stock was going to gain for the original owner. :)

For many years converting military into hunting rifles was the thing as the rifles could be purchased cheap. Before the economy went south I had a decent collection of them. I still have a no4mk1 and a 1903a1 that people had converted. They are my go to rifles.

WessonOil

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
For many years converting military into hunting rifles was the thing as the rifles could be purchased cheap. Before the economy went south I had a decent collection of them. I still have a no4mk1 and a 1903a1 that people had converted. They are my go to rifles.

Years ago there was a godawful looking Hakim 8mm online in some kind of hand whittled stock that sold for $159.00.

While people were laughing at it, some guy now has a Hakim that shoots perfectly well, for the price of a Cricket .22.

The auction was over by the time I saw it, but I'd have added it to my collection at that price.

RickN

Eye Bleach Salesman
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Years ago there was a godawful looking Hakim 8mm online in some kind of hand whittled stock that sold for $159.00.

While people were laughing at it, some guy now has a Hakim that shoots perfectly well, for the price of a Cricket .22.

The auction was over by the time I saw it, but I'd have added it to my collection at that price.

Yep you used to be able to find some great deals on Bubba Sporters and they had a certain weird uniqueness to some of them. I once picked up a Japanese type 38 carbine that someone had worked over and another that the Chinese had converted to 7.62x39. I swapped stocks and a few parts and made a correct Type 38 and one heck of a cool little hunting rifle in 7.62x39. Wish I still had both of them.

Latest posts

Top Bottom