Son of a...

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ez bake

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
How many rounds did you have through it before you had Steve pull it off?

I think around 400 or so (I'll have to go back and check my log-book from before I had him change barrels).

Both bipods are Harris - the one on the new project is actually one that came back from the sandbox from a soldier friend of a friend. Its the 9-13" notched version - no swivel. I was cleaning it the other night and found quite a bit of sand still stuck in it. I don't know why, but I think that is pretty cool to know that this thing has been through some serious tests before I even got it.

Youngest son is already starting to get jealous and is changing his mind about wanting a carbine and is considering a long-range gun but still likes ARs (so I may end up having to build up an AR-10 for him if I'm not careful).

Been thinking of an SPR'ish looking AR-10. The Magpul PRS used to look fairly ugly to me, but lately I've been wanting to get one and put it on an AR build of some sort.

I never even finished the second 10/22 build that I've been promising them - its still in the factory wooden stock. They want a friggin upgraded bow too (I don't even have a bow). Damn kids are more needy than I am... :D

Wouldn't have it any other way though.

mmchambers06

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Stay away from the semi-auto scoped guns. You will shoot so much ammo. I built this gun instead of buying an SPS tactical in .223 and it may well have been a mistake. Rapid firing on steel plates at 300 yards is fun...I mean too much fun. The rifle consistently shoots 1 MOA w/ 55gr. Rem UMC FMJ. I haven't grouped it with good ammo because I don't think the 1/9" will stabilize the 75gr. projectiles, which is all the .223 match ammo that I have (I could be wrong, though). The trigger is crap, but it still shoots.

Just don't be a wing-nut like me and break your trigger guard tabs! I'm waiting on a Stark SE-1 from Brownells. :rolleyes:

ai14.photobucket.com_albums_a320_mmchambers06_20inAr.jpg

I say get him a nice 16" carbine and bring him up on irons (Appleseed shoot?).

You'd be teaching him reloading verrrrry soon if you got him a long range AR-10 setup! Hahaha.....308 ain't cheap these days.

Anyways...you're a good father. :patriot:

ez bake

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Quick Pic - got my bottom metal in today (Yes, its duracoated desert tan for some reason).

Here it is next to the boy's school backpacks (they're loving this tacti-cool stuff):

[Broken External Image]

ez bake

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Range report - so far this thing hates 150gr American Eagle FMJs. I need to try some more ammo out, but this stuff should have been good to go in most .308 barrels.

I had exactly this same experience with my SPS Varmint barrel (Timney 2Lb trigger, Alum bedded stock, good base, decent rings, decent scope) and its got me to questioning whether or not I want to stick with that SPS factory barrel even if Steve re-cuts the chamber.

I'll probably start another thread over in the rifle section to get into it deeper.

ez bake

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
It's 1:12, right? Doesn't make a whole lot of sense...How bad was it?

I believe that's what the factory twist is on the skinnys.

I had a couple of 3" flyers that were almost unexplainable and the inconsistency was up to 1 1/2" of difference - it almost made me think that I had an issue with how the stock was mounted or something. Then again, I was in a hurry (trying to beat the darkness) and could have been jerking the trigger, but at 100yds with no ability to get even a 2" group, that was pretty disheartening.

Could be that it just didn't like the ammo - could be that I had some bad ammo (this stuff is pretty old), could be shooter error (had both my boys with me and there were other people at the range and I'm always nervously watching my kids out of the corner of my eye).

I'm going to check torque on everything and make sure that the barrel is clean tomorrow and eliminate as many variables as I can.

One more thing I thought of was the recoil-lug. I know with the .250 recoil lug on my rifle, the fit is pretty snug in that recoil lug slot in the bedding block. I'm sure the B&C on my son's rifle is similar to my HS and that the slot is way bigger than the factory lug, so its not "bedded" as well as it could be.

Edited to add:
I'm trying to keep my own grips out of this thread and in the other one I started in the rifle section:

http://okshooters.com/forums/showthread.php?p=796153&posted=1#post796153

ez bake

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Don't ever walk into Steve's shop and ask him "what do you think I should do?"

:thumb:

Hart Stainless #7 contour in 22" (1/10) and I went ahead and picked up another MITER connector from the good Major (or rather, Lt. Colonel now) Malfunction. Bryon was a great help in giving me the connector out of a SCAR-H box and ordering another for himself - and he met my dad. I'll probably buy my next can from him now.

Just put the low Rings on his base/scope and there's just a paper-thin amount of space between the front Butler Creek flip-cover and the barrel (I actually had to shave some rubber off the bottom of the flip-cover with a pocket knife) - put some shims under his stock pack and his mount is perfectly eye-level (he could fall asleep on his rifle easily).

Had Steve install a Callahan bolt-knob (knurled) and .250 recoil lug. I'd say other than bottom-metal or an optics upgrade (both long out in the future), this one's ready to shoot. I think we're going to paint the knob and barrel black and then go over it with some FDE and Green (maybe over some panty-hose or mesh netting - he likes that look).

Here's the pics (notice which one has the can on it - I knew that was going to happen):

Excuse the mess in the background - we got all the guns out to assemble and play with everything so I just shoved all the cases out of the way.

[Broken External Image]

[Broken External Image]

[Broken External Image]

[Broken External Image]

Latest posts

Top Bottom