Sony pulls interview movie

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RickN

Eye Bleach Salesman
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Considering the zero credibility of even the idea of NK terrorists doing *anything* stateside, I really think this might be just very elaborate hype. NK did basically nothing over Team America: World Police with its portrayal of KJI, so why are "they" getting their panties twisted now?

The RONKs did not have the computer equipment back then but a few years later the UN illegally gave them several computers that helped them. Want to guess where the computers came from?

Glocktogo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Sony can say what they want, but I am more inclined to believe that the hackers got their hands on something very sensitive that Sony doesn't want released as the reason for not releasing the movie, rather than the threat of violence pitch.

Ding, ding, ding... I believe we have a winner.

You don't dump $20M in production costs and take a dump on the 1st Amendment for nothing, particularly not when the criminals assaulting you have already kicked you in the jimmies.

There's something WAY worse than a little snottiness and racism in that data. Something Sony execs would do anything to keep under wraps.

Where's Anonymous when you need them?

SMS

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I think they simply did some math. Eating the production cost of a single movie is far cheaper than the cost of the lawsuits that would pour in if even one incident took place at the premiere of this movie.

Studios eat movies all the time, under far less public circumstances.

Ace_on_the_Turn

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Just an extreme example of PC. Anyone who thinks the Hollyweird folks are gonna do anything right or requiring backbone are sadly mistaken.

Sony Corporation is a large conglomerate headquartered in Tokyo Japan. There are, literally and figuratively, as far away from "Hollyweird" as you can get.

Coded-Dude

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I think they simply did some math. Eating the production cost of a single movie is far cheaper than the cost of the lawsuits that would pour in if even one incident took place at the premiere of this movie.

Or losing billions of profit on some tech for which the hackers have specs. Sony is also a hardware company with lots of patents.

Transmitted via Tactical Telecommunications Device

Ace_on_the_Turn

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
We are losing the cyber war to everyone, because instead of only going after government secrets like they did in the past, the cyber criminals are going after corporations and stealing intellectual properties on a massive scale, and credit card numbers. Being the "good guys", we can only try to defend against the persistent threats, and no retaliation is allowed. It's like being in a boxing match where you can only block blows and not throw any; you are going to get hit eventually. Nations have buildings full of hackers, and all they do is try to get information from the United States. China, Russia, Iran, and North Korea are the main culprits. What compounds this problem is that CEOs are naive and deceptive. If there is a problem, they first ignore it, and then cover it up, so the extent of the damages are not known to anyone until the company is bankrupt and some rival company in China is competing on the market with the same technology.

Yeah, about that cyber war. Get back to us when NK has destroyed 20% of the nuclear centrifuges of a nuclear power using a worm. No one really knows, for obvious reason, but don't doubt that the US is on the leading edge of cyber warfare. Since a majority of SW on both desktops \ servers and on networking HW was written by US firms we have no idea how many zero-day exploits, man-in-the-middle attacks, etc. we have ready to go. And don't forget that NK just basically unzipped its fly, and all they got in return was some information about a Japanese owned company.

travisstorma

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score

News was saying, for what it is worth, if they don't release the movie they would get an insurance payout for the production costs. It is mind boggling to me that they insure movies... Haha.

nofearfactor

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
News was saying, for what it is worth, if they don't release the movie they would get an insurance payout for the production costs. It is mind boggling to me that they insure movies... Haha.

With insurance paying them most of the $44 million they spent making the movie then theyre only going to be out the money theyve spent on advertizing and media. Wondering if after getting paid back that they will still be allowed to distribute the movie digitally later, or is it dead forever.

SMS

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Yeah, about that cyber war. Get back to us when NK has destroyed 20% of the nuclear centrifuges of a nuclear power using a worm. No one really knows, for obvious reason, but don't doubt that the US is on the leading edge of cyber warfare. Since a majority of SW on both desktops \ servers and on networking HW was written by US firms we have no idea how many zero-day exploits, man-in-the-middle attacks, etc. we have ready to go. And don't forget that NK just basically unzipped its fly, and all they got in return was some information about a Japanese owned company.

This. I'm not wringing my hands in grief over the Norks attacking a Japanese owned entertainment subsidiary.

Our capabilities far out strip any thing Uncle f-ing Un's goons can do. Call me when they start breaking real sh$t.

Latest posts

Top Bottom