Sourdough Starter, Bread and Biscuits

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BadgeBunny

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
OK ... I said I'd post the recipe for my sourdough starter for you guys. Here it is ...

To make the starter you need:

2 cups of potato water
2 tablespoons granulated sugar
2 cups unbleached flour

1 packet yeast (optional)

To make the potato water, peel one or two baking potatos. Once the skin loosens, peel it off and then mash the potatos and add enough of the water you boiled them in to make what can only be described as thin potato soup. If you wind up with too much, store it in the fridge to make potato chowder or feed it to the chickens.

If you want to speed things up (flavor-wise) then now is the time to fold the yeast into the mixture.

Once starter has cooled add the sugar and unbleached flour and beat until smooth. Place in warm spot in the kitchen in a glass or ceramic pot, cover loosely with a dish towel.

Stir morning and evening for 3 days.

On the third day you should have a very loose dough with that nice sourdough smell to it.

Ok ... Now you can use your sourdough to make bread now, but it's better flavorwise to just feed it (1/2 cup flour, 1/2 cup water) and wait another 3 days.

NOW you can cook with your sourdough ... :w000t:

Notes:

1. Be sure and feed your sourdough started 1/2 cup of water and 1/2 cup of flour with a bit of sugar thrown in occasional (1 tsp or so) every 3 or 4 days.

2. If you use your starter, replace the amount you removed with an equal amount of flour and water.

3. You can keep your starter in the fridge if you would like. That way you only have to feed it once a week, but the flavor will be milder.

Last edited:

BadgeBunny

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Mmmm-kay ... now that you have a sourdough starter to work with you can make anything that you would make with "regular" flour and water. Yeast type breads, quick breads, biscuits, pancakes, waffles ... You name it ...

Here are my favorite bread recipe. It is less rustic than most sourdough loaves and had a great crumb, similar to sandwich bread but hardier:

Sourdough Bread

1/2 cup warm water
1 tsp yeast
1/2 cup sourdough starter
1/2 tsp salt
2 TBS butter, melted
1 egg
3 1/2 cups unbleached flour

Combine water and yeast in large bowl. Let set for 10 -15 minutes -- until bubbly.
Beat egg lightly in separate, small bowl.
Add starter, sugar, salt, melted butter to beaten egg and stir well.
Add this mixture to the water and yeast and mix well
Add flour until a fairly wet doughball has formed. Knead lightly for approximately 5 minutes.
Place doughball in a oiled bowl, turning once to cover with oil. Cover bowl with a cotton dish cloth and let rise for 2 hours.
Once dough has doubled in size, turn out on a floured surface and knead again for a few minutes (3 or 4 will do it).
Shape into log and place in a greased 9 x 5 loaf pan. Spray top lightly with nonstick spray.
Cover with cotton dish towel and let set 1 hour.

Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Once dough had doubled in size again, place in hot oven for 20 minutes.
Reduce temperature to 350 and continue to bake for an additional 20 minutes.

When loaf sounds hollow when you thunk the top of it, bread is done. Turn out onto a wire rack to cool ...

BadgeBunny

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
OK guys ... Pay attention ... I need to edit my first post to add some instructions but the site won't let me so here they are:

First, when you make your sourdough starter, DO NOT use any metal utensils ... Use a glass or ceramic or plastic container, use a wooden or plastic spoon. Metal reacts with the yeast and will kill your starter.

Second, if you want sourdough taste but not the wait that comes from letting the starter do it's work (12 - 18 hours usually), then add a 1/2 tsp of yeast to your recipe. It will make whatever you are making a little more softer in crumb, but will drastically shorten the rising times so you can have bread or rolls the same day you mix your batter.

I'm testing a biscuit recipe again today (didn't work out so well the last time I tried it) and tweaking it some ... Stay tuned for results ...

Latest posts

Top Bottom