Speaking of VA hearing aids

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ICanFixIt

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Just a word of warning for after you get those VA hearing aids. I only wear a mask when forced to. I went to Harbor Freight and had to wear the mask. When I left the store, I took the mask off. Quite a few miles later, I noticed that the batteries in my hearing aids must have gone dead. When I reached up to take them off, they weren't there. I assume the elastic ear straps pulled them right off. Hearing aids and masks don't get along too well. Nobody has turned them as found at HF. I have an audiology appointment at the VA for the end of this month. I have had them just 3 1/2 years, so I guess we'll see if the VA will replace them. Not hearing sucks.

snafu21

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
If you served in the military and got honorable on your dd-214, you have tinnitus and PTSD.

I'm not saying to lie and say you do have those if you don't. I'm just saying tinnitus claims are an almost guarantee 10% rating which gets you free medical to include hearing-aids.

I'm also not saying to lie about having PTSD if you don't have it. I'm just saying that just about everyone who served had at least 1 traumatic event that could affect you mentally and cause you to lose sleep and make you anxious.

You shouldn't game the system but if you threw your body to the grinder then you deserve a little compensation. A little googlefu can tell you exactly how to do it and what to say.

John6185

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Just a word of warning for after you get those VA hearing aids. I only wear a mask when forced to. I went to Harbor Freight and had to wear the mask. When I left the store, I took the mask off. Quite a few miles later, I noticed that the batteries in my hearing aids must have gone dead. When I reached up to take them off, they weren't there. I assume the elastic ear straps pulled them right off. Hearing aids and masks don't get along too well. Nobody has turned them as found at HF. I have an audiology appointment at the VA for the end of this month. I have had them just 3 1/2 years, so I guess we'll see if the VA will replace them. Not hearing sucks.
The VA will issue a new set of hearing aids every three years. I know, I lost one and had to wait until the three year term before being reissued more.

Retired

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
If you served in the military and got honorable on your dd-214, you have tinnitus and PTSD.

I'm not saying to lie and say you do have those if you don't. I'm just saying tinnitus claims are an almost guarantee 10% rating which gets you free medical to include hearing-aids.

I'm also not saying to lie about having PTSD if you don't have it. I'm just saying that just about everyone who served had at least 1 traumatic event that could affect you mentally and cause you to lose sleep and make you anxious.

You shouldn't game the system but if you threw your body to the grinder then you deserve a little compensation. A little googlefu can tell you exactly how to do it and what to say.
Wow, after reading your post i could almost be 100% p&t next week. Guess I should study 38 cfr. Then I might possibly know what the hell I'm talking about.

BReeves

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Got a call from the VA today telling me I qualified for medical. Kinda flabbergasted as not much has changed from when I applied back in 08. Household income is a little lower because the wife and I are both retired but still doing pretty good with SS and pensions.

Pretty cool, although not exactly sure what it buys me. Also wondering why no VA hospital in Tulsa. I know about the ones in Muskogee and the city. Probably above my pay grade to even question it.

snafu21

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Wow, after reading your post i could almost be 100% p&t next week. Guess I should study 38 cfr. Then I might possibly know what the hell I'm talking about.

That 100% is very elusive. VA math makes it very hard to break the 90% mark. A buddy of mine has traumatic brain injury, ptsd and had his back broken twice and he only gets 90%

snafu21

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Got a call from the VA today telling me I qualified for medical. Kinda flabbergasted as not much has changed from when I applied back in 08. Household income is a little lower because the wife and I are both retired but still doing pretty good with SS and pensions.

Pretty cool, although not exactly sure what it buys me. Also wondering why no VA hospital in Tulsa. I know about the ones in Muskogee and the city. Probably above my pay grade to even question it.

Can't imagine Muskogee being near as bad as okc which is terrible. My son in law lives in okc and goes to a clinic in Ada because he gets better care. I use my work insurance instead on using okc va because my primary is terrible.

BReeves

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Maybe I'm going about this the wrong way but at least making some progress. Finally got through to a human in the VA clinic audiology department in Tulsa. He said the only hearing tests they give are to determine what is needed for hearing aids and that I would need a hearing test from a private audiologist for the disability claim.

Went ahead and made an appointment with the VA clinic for Apr 30th. Then I called Gilbert Audiology in Tulsa about a hearing test for the disability claim. I will be paying for it, wasn't able to figure out how to get it through the VA.

What an ordeal, can see whear hiring a firm is tempting. I'm trying to see just how difficult this can be doing it on my own.

snafu21

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Maybe I'm going about this the wrong way but at least making some progress. Finally got through to a human in the VA clinic audiology department in Tulsa. He said the only hearing tests they give are to determine what is needed for hearing aids and that I would need a hearing test from a private audiologist for the disability claim.

Went ahead and made an appointment with the VA clinic for Apr 30th. Then I called Gilbert Audiology in Tulsa about a hearing test for the disability claim. I will be paying for it, wasn't able to figure out how to get it through the VA.

What an ordeal, can see whear hiring a firm is tempting. I'm trying to see just how difficult this can be doing it on my own.

Yes, from my experience of getting my Hearing Aids, that is totally backwards and you shouldn't have to pay for a thing.

For your VA hearing claim, you can do it online, thru non-profit, for profit, or Community Service in the VA itself (Some American Legions have VA reps that can help you with the filing process too)... File a claim for hearing loss and THEY will check your service records and then set you up with an appointment with audiology either in-house or thru a private company... ON THEIR DIME.

For the hearing aids you should be able to go to audiology and they will test you themselves and it should take 2 to 4 weeks to get hearing aids that they will program there.

There's no reason at all for you to be out of pocket for any VA care.

Maybe it's changed in the last 4 years since I got mine, but it was super easy and super free.

Retired

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
Yes, it will be free once it's determined that it is service connected or you are rated 100% .otherwise you will have to pay one way or another. Study 38 code of federal regs All info is very clear

Latest posts

Top Bottom