Speers loading manual

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

okierider

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Supporting Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator Supporter
Reaction score
Anybody use Speers load info quite a bit? I have been looking into a couple different loads and Speers seems to run closer to Max Saami than any other manual I have looked at.
I have always looked at 3 different manuals before loading and this is the first time looking at Speers and just wanted to get you Gents input that have more experience with Speers.

I

okierider

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Supporting Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator Supporter
Reaction score
So a little more info, 90 grain xtp 380 bullets say they need 950 FPS to reliably expand. So according to Speers 3.8 should put me around 1000fps . If I cannot get the accuracy I want with 231 I will have to find a different powder. I already keep 6 different types powder on hand soooo Hope this works. May end up having to find some CFE pistol!!

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Here is something else to think about.
I killed a full sized deer with 45acp 230gr round nose FMJ bullet, dead where it stood 47 paces.
No expansion. Not moving fast either from my Hi-Point pistol.

I would not get caught up in the velocity so much but more into the fact you need to hit a vital or 2.
Best accuracy for me when I make loads and sometimes that is pretty slow in my pistols.
600 fps 100gr soft lead 30 cal will pass long ways through a full sized Possum.
No idea what you plan to shoot with that 90 gr but I bet even at 500 fps it will kill ya dead.
A .223 bullet mushroomed out is not as big as the .380 is while still in the case.

Latest posts

Top Bottom