1. Welcome to Oklahoma Shooters Association! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.
  2. All members receive 3 free listings a month. Get unlimited listings for just $10 a year! Click here for all the info.

Spotting Scope Question

Discussion in 'Shooting Chat' started by Forgalspop, Mar 1, 2021.

1. Forgalspop

Forgalspop Sharpshooter

Supporter
    Rating
    100%
    I’ve been contemplating purchasing a spotting scope. I would like to find a fairly inexpensive one that would allow me to see shot groupings out to 300 yards. That may not be a realistic expectation. Finding a quality and inexpensive spotting scope may be an oxymoron.

I have a relatively good quality set of binoculars and decent scopes, but being 65 my eyes aren’t what they used to be, and often I have to walk about half way to the targets to before I can get a clear view depending on how my eyes are working on any given day.

Any suggestions based on real experiences?

Thanks!

2. Aries

Aries Sharpshooter

Supporter
    Rating
    100%
    I think I spent about $170 on a decent, not great, Redfield scope, and I'm not sure I could see .30 caliber holes at 300 yards with it. Don't cheap out on a spotting scope, you'll be disappointed. If you were talking max 100 yards you could probably find something around 150 ish, but much beyond that.... uh, I dunno.

3. Forgalspop

Forgalspop Sharpshooter

Supporter
    Rating
    100%
    Thanks!

Found this on Amazon. I've never heard of this brand, but has good reviews.

Gosky 20-60x80 Dual Focusing ED Spotting Scope - Ultra High Definition Optics Scope with Carrying Case and Smartphone Adapter for Target Shooting Hunting Bird Watching Wildlife Astronomy Scenery

Visit the Gosky Store

4.5 out of 5 stars 117 ratings

| 34 answered questions

Price: $369.98 & FREE Returns
    Coupon

Save an extra $40.00 when you apply
    this coupon.

4. chuter

chuter Sharpshooter

Supporter
    Rating
    100%
    Forgalspop likes this.
  5. mr ed

mr ed Sharpshooter

Supporter
    Rating
    100%
    scope doesn't matter so much as the tripod get the sturdiest you can find.

TheDoubleD likes this.
  6. swampratt

swampratt Sharpshooter

Supporter
    Rating
    100%
    I see people shooting black targets and it is difficult to find the bullet holes.
    I hand them a plain white piece of paper with an X on it drawn with a sharpie.
    You can see your bullet holes very easy with a 4x scope to 100 and 300 yards on 9 power if the glass is good and your eyes are not shot.
    That 300 yard distance is less with .223 bullet holes.
    16 power scopes I have had could see the groups to 300 from a .223 pretty easy.
    White paper though.
    Some people get a cheap high power scope and use it on a tripod.
    My son had a telescope that would have been perfect as a spotting scope.

MacFromOK likes this.
  7. MacFromOK

MacFromOK Sharpshooter

Supporter
    Rating
    100%
    This is why I like really cheap paper plates, and they're rigid enough to not flap in a breeze.
    :drunk2:

8. doug1949

doug1949 Marksman

Rating
    100%
    Try the Shoot'n See type of targets before you buy a spotting scope or replace your rifle scope

chuter likes this.
  9. TeamTomlyn

TeamTomlyn Sharpshooter

Supporter
    Rating
    100%
    I had the same question a few years ago and was told a good rule of thumb is $1.00 a yard. If you want to be able to see a sub moa group at 300 yards; you'd better spend at least $300. From there just do your research and make sure the spotting scope is worth every dang penny.

10. HoLeChit

HoLeChit Semper Fidelis

Supporter
    Rating
    100%
    I'm a big fan of the white paper deal. Or the "Shoot n' C" targets. Canadian ranges used to use white cardstock with pink for their targets and they were great. They recently switched to white on black and they're garbage. It was difficult seeing 100yd groups with 12x binos and my 20/18 combined vision.

If you buy the Shoot n C targets in bulk it costs about as much as buying paper targets from the range anyways, and amazon has lots of cheaper knock offs floating around that work just fine too. I just shove a dozen under my seat and I always have them with me, whether I'm at a commercial range or a WMA range with no amenities.

On the subject of Spotting scopes, I do think the dollar per yard is a good rule, but I would honestly keep my minimum price around $400. Ive used a few $80-200 spotting scopes and they were practically useless. Hence why I don't have a spotting scope and rely upon good targets and my binos.