Springfield "Trapdoor"

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Perplexed

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
You might try a rubbing where you place a piece of thin paper over the cartouche(s) and rub lightly with the side of the tip of a pencil. Done right, this creates a sort of negative image on the paper, which you can then photograph and post.

Brandi

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
You might try a rubbing where you place a piece of thin paper over the cartouche(s) and rub lightly with the side of the tip of a pencil. Done right, this creates a sort of negative image on the paper, which you can then photograph and post.

Won't work, it's too deeply stamped.

There's also a stamped "14" under the buttplate that I have no idea what it means.

Perplexed

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Won't work, it's too deeply stamped.

There's also a stamped "14" under the buttplate that I have no idea what it means.

If it's deeply stamped, have you tried setting a light source low and to one side to create shadows inside the lines of the marking? That can help pop out the marking in a photo. You can also use Photoshop or other image editor to adjust the brightness, contrast, color, etc. to bring out the marking some more. If you're not experienced with that sort of editing, you could email it to me and I'd give it a shot.

The "14" is likely an inspector's mark. You see numbers or characters like that now and then in the end of a military stock, either under the butt plate or at the other end.

Latest posts

Top Bottom