1. Welcome to Oklahoma Shooters Association! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.
  2. All members receive 3 free listings a month. Get unlimited listings for just $10 a year! Click here for all the info.

Squirrel hunting without killing a mama?

Discussion in 'Hunting & Fishing' started by sh00ter, Mar 10, 2021.

1. HoLeChit

HoLeChit Semper Fidelis

Supporter
    Rating
    100%
    Saw a guy giving his dead squirrel stretches before skinning him. Thought it was hilarious, but makes sense.

MacFromOK likes this.
  2. Oklahomabassin

Oklahomabassin Sharpshooter

Rating
    100%
  3. chadh2o

chadh2o Gunslinger

Supporter
    Rating
    100%
    All yours.
    Is it possible to catch more than one in a cage at a time? I have never had the luck of 2+. Fiesty sobs, gotta hang on to the trap otherwise they knock it out of your hand.

4. HoLeChit

HoLeChit Semper Fidelis

Supporter
    Rating
    100%
    I’ve got an extra trap or two if you guy need it.

5. chadh2o

chadh2o Gunslinger

Supporter
    Rating
    100%
    Thanks. I have 2, but carrying 2 in the backseat of the jeep doesn't work well. I have a mat that fits one cage that I put under so they don't crap on the seat while transport to the river.
    Open the door and gone to the nearest tree. They don't even look back.

6. sh00ter

sh00ter Sharpshooter

Supporter
    That's probably the top of the airgun game...very costly, I'm staying humble for now so I can be closer to what I used when I was a kid. It is amazing what you can do with a sub 100 dollar gun. HOWEVER, when I think of airforce, I think of big bore and hog hunting so that's a whole different area of airguns I have never explored.

A lot depends on intent and budget. A lot of the issues with 22 can be overcome with a more expensive rifle...A lot of the issues around 22 are using the same power plant as 177. On a lower-end gun, some people would rather have the accuracy that comes with the faster, flatter 177. But if you have a high-end gun that has plenty of power for the 22, then the 22 can better overcome the complaints and shoot flatter.

Otherwise, if not getting something like a Benjamin Armada PCP rifle in 22, you can just keep your shots closer out of a lower-powered 22 gun.

ORRRR, you can just use heavies in the 177 and have the best of both worlds to some degree. You need 5-6ft/lbs (at range) for a clean kill on a squirrel from my research. A 10.5gr 177 pellet out of a decent powered rifle can make up for a lot.

But CHenry is correct about 22 having more "thud". As long as shots are close, or you have a higher-powered gun to push the 22. You just don't want something pushing a 22 that can't penetrate well at range. I'd take a 177 over 22 for a longer shot out of the SAME power plant; especially a 177 w/ the right weight pellet.

7. murphranch

murphranch Sharpshooter

Just shoot the squirrels with the hoop sack bean bags attached to their butts.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

HoLeChit likes this.