Stand your ground law

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ConstitutionCowboy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
The bus is not your property, so I don't think so.

The law doesn't say it has to be your property. You just have to have the right to be there. When you've got the right to be somewhere, you've got all the rest of your rights with you at the same time. The law also goes on to say you don't have to have a license to carry a gun to be afforded the protections of this act. The law also says you are protected for if a "...or unlawful and forcible act..." takes place not affiliated with a forcible entry. Note the "or". It's not "and", meaning you are protected even though your defensive act takes place outdoors in any place you have the right to be.

If you're covered on a buss, you must also have the means to protect yourself on a buss. This act doesn't prohibit you from carrying anywhere though other law might prohibit carrying in certain places. I'd like to see the law prohibiting carry on a buss.

Woody

"The Right of the People to move about freely in a secure manner shall not be infringed. Any manner of self defense shall not be restricted, regardless of the mode of travel or where you stop along the way, as the right to keep and bear arms is so enumerated at both the beginning and end of any journey." B.E.Wood

IAmMensa

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
I think it might be important to realize that the SYG law does NOT permit you to carry a firearm but the right to use deadly force. Please remember that there is more than one way to skin a cat or use deadly force. While the SDA does not allow you to carry a weapon in a bar, the SYG law does give you the right to defend yourself from attack up to and including deadly force. If you were attacked in a bar and you defended yourself with a firearm, I suspect that you would be charged with the crime of carrying a firearm unlawfully, which would mean that you were also in violation of the SYG law because you were not "lawfully" in the bar. D. A person who is not engaged in an unlawful activity and who is attacked in any other place where he or she has a right to be has no duty to retreat and has the right to stand his or her ground and meet force with force, including deadly force,

I am not a lawyer and this is not legal advice --- just the way I read it.

nofearfactor

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I think most people who dont have a CCW understand that the SYG law only allows them to use deadly force with a firearm while on their property only.But,if you are not a CCW permit holder and you are transporting a firearm legally,say in the trunk unloaded and locked away,and you get in some trouble with somebody while on the way home from the range or something, can you retrieve your gun from the trunk and protect yourself and your property-meaning your vehicle-wherever you are even though you dont have a CCW?I would assume you could by the meaning I get from the SYG law.A CCW just allows you to be able to carry concealed only in public and in places legally able to carry concealed.A gun owner without a CCW can only transport a firearm if it is locked in the trunk of a car unloaded or in the locked glove box of a pickup truck unloaded.Some states like New Mexico consider your vehicle your 'moving castle'.

When I first moved here and before I had my Oklahoma CCW (I had my Iowa permit but had been living here for 2 years) I had been to the range one day and had my gun bag with 3 unloaded pistols and my bag with range ammo in the trunk.I got in an auto accident where my car was totaled and I was waiting for my wife to show up to the scene.I told the officer while I was waiting I had a gun bag with unloaded pistols in it in my trunk.He just nodded his head ok.Didnt ask to see them or anything.He had my drivers license and I suppose he had already ran me and found out I had nothing on my record but traffic offences.When she did show up I just transferred the bag from the car to our van.

Texas uses the Castle doctrine there and they are alot more lenient down there on their citizens arming themselves and using deadly force when gaurding their property than Oklahomas DAs have been here.

The most famous I remember being the one with the old guy who was on a call into 911 while 3 badguys were robbing his neighbors property and against the 911 operators instructions to wait for police he ran outside and shot 2 of them dead when they came in his yard trying to make their getaway and then he came back to the phone to report the shootings in a lot of colorful language.He didnt get charged for anything.

I read alot of other reports of Texas people standing behind the 'Castle doctrine' and using deadly force to protect their property and BGs better watch out in Texas.They shoot then ask who the hell you are after theyve shot and killed ya down there.With no possibility of civil suit against them by the victims families.

Its good to know that people like my 70 yr old mother and stepfather who would never go to get a CCW or even have a reason to ever carry outside of the home do not even need a CCW permit to own,store and use a gun if they ever need to protect themselves or their property.

nofearfactor

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I "had" my Iowa permit at one time when I lived there full time.Maybe I wasnt clear on that.Sorry.It just wasnt current at the time-it had lapsed.I had been living here for 2 years full time and only there part time and I just hadnt had time to apply for one here yet.I was just doing what was legal by having the guns and gear in the trunk.I have a busy career as a musician which is a nighttime job basically and dont have the time some times to get much of anything done during the daytime hours.Sorry for the misunderstanding...

And,Iowa's permit law is way different than here,or was when I lived there fulltime 7 years ago and got my first permit there.I only live there part time now.Permits were only for one year at a time and you got them from the sheriff of your county.And no long waiting period like here.Every county was different though.I live in Des Moines-Polk county and its a little easier to get one there.The sheriff of each county approves the permits.It was still kind of tough to get one in a way.You did have to have a squeeky clean background and show a real need why you had to have one.

Still,I moved to Iowa from California and it was so weird to be able to even get a permit.

Latest posts

Top Bottom