Standard magazine capacity on a Benelli M4?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

trbii

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I've become interested in a semi-auto HD shotgun, with features like pistol grip/full butt stock and six shot tube. A 2 3/4" chamber is all I'd ever use. When looking at Benellis' web site they list the M4 mag capacity as 4+1. It looks like a 18-20" barrel with a long tube under it. Could that be a typo? They advertise it as the model used by the USMC. Really? A four shot Elmer Fudd magazine? For $1400-$1800? If I could find a Remington 11-87 in the tactical configuration I want, I'd forget about the Benelli. Any of you guys know about the M4?

Dinner

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I've got one, great shotty. Very expensive though. You can convert to 8+1+1(ghost load) so it's up to the task. On a budget? Look at the mosberg 930 spx. If you go the mossberg route examine the front sight to make sure it's not canted. Was a big problem a few years ago...

Perplexed

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I had a M4, and it was a very nice though pricey shotgun. The listed capacity is indeed 4+1 because in order to import it to the US, they had to install a necked-down magazine tube that only holds 4 shells. If you look at the standard tube, there's a spot with some "flanges" - that's where the tube is necked down. There are aftermarket manufacturers that offer a fully open tube so you can go 6+1 or more. I had a titanium 6-shell tube on mine, and its finish was a near-perfect copy of the factory finish.

I should've kept that shotgun, but I already have a Tromix Saiga-12 which is a lot more fun to shoot, and unlike the M4 has yet to experience a FTE.

trbii

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Thanks for the help, guys. That clears that question up for me. I don't like the sound of having to install an after market mag tube. Probably deal breaker on the M4 for me. The Saiga 12 ga. are interesting to me. If I could buy hi-cap mags and a drum mag for it. If I understand correctly, you buy a clunky, unusable, un-ergonomic shotgun, then wait a long time for Tony Rumore to modify the hell out of it, then pay a lot more money. Then you're set, Right?

Perplexed

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
The aftermarket mag tube that I had on mine wasn't problematic at all, so I wouldn't consider it a deal-breaker myself. If you're already dropping the dough on a M4, the titanium tube at $100 isn't that much more ;) As for the Saiga, there are 12-round and 20-round drum mags available, as well as 5-round, 10-round, and higher box mags. I have examples of these, and my favorite is the 12-round drum. IMHO, you don't need to have Tony modify a S-12 to make it more ergonomic and usable - there are DIY kits that you can use - but for quality work and a smooth-running S-12, Tony is the man!

Latest posts

Top Bottom