Started a plate rack

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

steelfingers

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Repeated hits in large volumes will cause almost any weld to crack. Try to design the plates without welds.
I spend a lot of time every month re-welding steel targets from our range. I'm guessing harmonics from the hits generate the cracks.
Particularly with the 500 steel. I'm also thinking about a setup for hanging steel with a chain but making the holes in the steel will be a bit much. On the longer targets, maybe just silhouettes set in between railroad ties. Gongs, at longer distances, I haven't even thought of yet. Going out, as soon as I get feeling better, to pick out a new site to shoot that don't have a river running through (and over) it at times. Ha!

steelfingers

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
if its your personal rack, you will likely never see the cracks. Ours gets hammered during matches and the general membership gets to shoot it at their leisure when matches are not being held. Lots of use, and no springs to cushion the fall.
Its getting pretty ugly after 10 years or more of service. LOL. It gets rebuilt by volunteers on occasion.
I used to have some pics saved from the plate rack at the OKC Gun Club on the cowboy shooters bays that I took one day. If I can find them, I'll post. They had a pretty good design.
Thanks. Post them if you can and tell what info you have on the material.

beastep

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
if its your personal rack, you will likely never see the cracks. Ours gets hammered during matches and the general membership gets to shoot it at their leisure when matches are not being held. Lots of use, and no springs to cushion the fall.
Its getting pretty ugly after 10 years or more of service. LOL. It gets rebuilt by volunteers on occasion.
I used to have some pics saved from the plate rack at the OKC Gun Club on the cowboy shooters bays that I took one day. If I can find them, I'll post. They had a pretty good design.

It is just my personal rack and honestly I cant afford a whole lot of centerfire pistol to shoot very much. Just me and a buddy shooting it and my lil girl with her .22.

Pics would be helpful. I've never even seen a rack in person much less shot one. Im going kinda blind here but Im pretty good at putting stuff together like I have it in my head.

beastep

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Particularly with the 500 steel. I'm also thinking about a setup for hanging steel with a chain but making the holes in the steel will be a bit much. On the longer targets, maybe just silhouettes set in between railroad ties. Gongs, at longer distances, I haven't even thought of yet. Going out, as soon as I get feeling better, to pick out a new site to shoot that don't have a river running through (and over) it at times. Ha!

Im also about to start rifle targets with hanging plates 300-800+ yards. My plan is to use baler belt instead of chain. It will be more of a pain to put together but I have a plan to where I dont have to use bolts and you can shoot that belting all day and not hurt it. It will also absorb a lot of the shock.

steelfingers

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Im also about to start rifle targets with hanging plates 300-800+ yards. My plan is to use baler belt instead of chain. It will be more of a pain to put together but I have a plan to where I dont have to use bolts and you can shoot that belting all day and not hurt it. It will also absorb a lot of the shock.
Share that please, when you figure it out.

beastep

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
A chain hook welded to the back of the target stand above plate. A chain hook welded to the back of the plate. A section of baler belt cut to length wih slit cut on each end for hooks to fit into. You can cut it all with a box knife and you dont need any tools. Bullets cant hit chain hooks. Welds may stress on the hook on the plate but not a big deal. No bolts to accidentally shoot.

Latest posts

Top Bottom