Starting from scratch with fishing tackle.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dancer4life

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Since I live on Grand Lake, I tend to buy a lot of tackle yearly. I have found my best deals at estate sales/garage sales, If you are on Facebook, you can find really good deals on market place.
If you want to buy brand new tackle, I have found it all is pretty much about the same price brand for brand. Believe it or not but Walmart has probably the cheapest prices on tackle than say Academy, Bass Pro, Cabela's' and some of the mom and pop tackle shops up here.
Good luck and sorry about yours getting stolen. Nothing I hate worse that a thief!

Cowbaby

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
rods1.jpg rods2.jpg rods3.jpg Holler at me next time your down my way again Mr. Chit :7). Ill see if I can hook up up with something. I have about 100 reels to chose from and maybe 50rods. I have more. If I don't have it I have a collector friend in Shreveport who does. He has 6 wooden Big O lures worth 5 grand a pop. He has shelves full of boxes of about every lure in every color ever made. Bassmasters stop by his garage when they are looking for something special.

Last edited:

Cowbaby

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Stuff is around. Seen this little gem today. Don't see these around in this condition often and the price was right. It's kinda the forerunner of the famous Ambassadeur 5000 and what made baitcasting all happen. It was so sexy I had to take a picture. I told myself NO you don't need anymore tackle.

Gem.jpg

Glock 40

Problem Solver
Special Hen
Reaction score
Stuff is around. Seen this little gem today. Don't see these around in this condition often and the price was right. It's kinda the forerunner of the famous Ambassadeur 5000 and what made baitcasting all happen. It was so sexy I had to take a picture. I told myself NO you don't need anymore tackle.

View attachment 191912
Oh the backlashes that thing could make.

TwoForFlinching

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
90% of my tackle is from clearance racks lol. Never cared for any particular brand, but all about colors. Green pumpkin most of the time, black and blue in real dirty waters. I almost 100% fish for bass, buy most of it from Walmart clearance, academy clearance, and the tackle show that comes through Lawton every year. Academy has flippin' hooks 7/$2.50. Bass Pro sells them for $2/each. I fish every bait on em whether I'm flipping, pitching, or tx rigged. The real killer is weights. Tungsten in stores is high dollar. I buy them online at http://www.omfishingsinkers.com/

Cheapest place I've found them.

I used to shop Nabatak in Claremore when I lived up there. Bought a mess of sale priced usa falcon rods from em. A couple of high quality Lew's reels before they got bought put and turned to bargain bin hardware. Bass Pro usually has a decent enough Spring sale on reels, usually 30-40% off Garcia Revo's, I like em. Used to buy the Johnny Morris signature carbonlight line, but the last two generations they seemed to get heavier and bulkier, so I stopped buying them when they went silver. Haven't really bought hardware since the curado dc's found a permanent home in my boat. Finicky to learn, but amazing fishing in the wind. I always buy my power pro line when it's on sale (usually in spring) and whatever house brand flouro cabelas has in stock.

Hard to say what's new in crappie tackle. I've had the same two tiny walmart clearance jigs on my ultralight rig for seven years and a freezer full of fillets. Color doesn't seem to matter as much as knowing what depth they're at.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Top Bottom