Steel challenge at Ada Rifle and Gun Club

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Annie

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Not bad for an old man with a bum shoulder! :hey3: Stick with it. You will get better. I hadn't shot in 3 or 4 years and came in in the middle of the pack when I shot at Tri-City last year. Events keep conspiring against me but I swear I'm gonna start shooting matches more regularly now that we have nice weather. There are too many good, fun matches in Oklahoma every weekend not to shoot at least one or two a month. Steel Challenges are my favorite of all of them.

Annie

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
"Had a ball even if I did come in dead last."
Ha, I'd give you a run for your money on last!

Ha! There was a guy who used to be really active here. Wizard. The running joke between the two of us (and everyone else, for that matter) was we were competing for last place at every match we went to -- and back then we were going to a LOT of matches. I've never had so much fun in my life as I did with that bunch of folks. I keep in touch with some of them still.

Annie

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I had a blast. I do a lot of shooting but not like this. Timed with multiple transitional targets, multiple distances, different sized steel plates and multiple runs and stages. Its different than shooting with my friends in a very relaxed environment. Those 8" plates get pretty damn small when you've missed one of them 3 times in a row.
It was all just great fun and even though I'm very competitive, I had a ball. I had zero expectations of doing well. I knew I'd be dragging the line and that's ok.
I'll get better.

Yessir. If you'd ever have told me I'd EVER finish any place but last or next to last I would have called you a liar. I wasn't there to be Johnny Badass -- I was there to hang out with my friends and have fun. But the really funny thing is, if you do it often enough the some speed does come your way. I'll never be Johnny Badass, but I'll still have fun and be a better shot. And that's the name of the game for me! :sunbath:

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
We had our monthly steel challenge match this morning in Ponca.
A new shooter showed up, and absolutely loved it. He compared it to standing in place and punching some paper down range by himself, and basically that's not near the fun of shooting with a group, trading barbs, laughing at mistakes, and so on.
Some take competition shooting seriously, and the rest of us do it for the camaraderie and the opportunity to be with like minded friends and send some lead down range.
If you have never tried steel Challenge, DO IT! Easy to learn, and it's great to get the kids started shooting as there is no movement. It's just the shooter against the timer in a test of speed shooting.

beardking

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I haven't done steel challenge, only rimfire challenge (I need to gear up so I can do steel), but that is some of the most fun that I have ever had. The only real competing that I did was against my brother and my friend that we used to go with. I wanted DESPERATELY to beat them, but everyone ends that I was shooting against, it was just for fun. I need to get back into it. I haven't been shooting nearly as much as I'd like lately.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Top Bottom