Steel Challenge Jan 5th Oil Capital Tulsa

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Buzzdraw

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Upcoming Oil Capital Steel Challenge is Sunday January 5th. Weather is looking good for this one. Registration is now open at https://practiscore.com/oil-capital-rod-gun-club-steel-challenge-jan-5-2020/register You will need to create a free Practiscore account if you do not already have one. Practiscore registration data must be carefully entered, hopefully by the registrant.

Official Steel Challenge Shooters Assn sanction is now in place. You do not need to be a USPSA or SCSA member to shoot our Level 1 matches. OC Steel Challenge shoots the 1st and 4th Sundays each month.

Match fee of $15 ($10 OCRGC member) and $5 second gun continues. Schedule is 9:30 AM sign-in, 10:00 AM safety meeting. Six stages. We regularly put out bulk water, pop up tents and seating convenient to the shooter’s box. Bring a new shooter along! If you are able, assistance in tearing the match down after completion is appreciated.

Location link http://www.ocrgc.com/?q=node/44

tRidiot

Perpetually dissatisfied
Special Hen
Reaction score
I may try to make this. Gotta get into some more shooting stuff... I gotta read up on rules and find out what I need in terms of equipment and garments.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I may try to make this. Gotta get into some more shooting stuff... I gotta read up on rules and find out what I need in terms of equipment and garments.

Not much prep needed. I shoot pistol and rifle. There are 5 steel targets out there with one being the stop target. Shoot at the array of 5 targets 5 times against the clock. Your time stops when you hit the stop target. Misses count horribly against your final score. You can go back to pick up a miss, but only before you shoot the stop target.
For pistol, you will need 5 magazines. If you don't have 5 someone will volunteer to load them while your shooting.
Rifle is the same. If shooting a 10 round 10-22, you would need 5 mags or a volunteer loader. I shoot a 50 round drum mag from the rifle, so reloading or changing mags is not an issue.
You can keep mags in the back pocket, or on a table if nearby. At the OKC gun range, I take a lawn chair from stage to stage to put the rifle and pistol on so they are not laying on the ground. At Ponca we have tables at each stage to put guns, and mags on.
It's a pretty informal match so go and participate in the first one, tell them you are a new shooter so they will put you at the back of the shooting list. You can watch what the others do before your turn comes up.
Have fun is the number one suggestion.

tRidiot

Perpetually dissatisfied
Special Hen
Reaction score
Dangit, I just realized it was a Sunday. for some reason I misread and thought it was Saturday. I'll have to think more about it. I don't want to make it a habit to skip out on Sundays.

tRidiot

Perpetually dissatisfied
Special Hen
Reaction score
That's great Dennis. I think I'll try to make the trip to Ponca in January on the 25th.

I've still got to start getting a long range gun set up, too... just can't figure out where to start.

Latest posts

Top Bottom