Step-Daughter's first trip to the range

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RetiredTater

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
So took my step-daughter to the range yesterday while her mom is laid up. This was her first time shooting anything besides my 10/22. Took her mom's 9, my .380 and my .40.

She has a bit to learn, but she did a really good job and the best news........she is now a huge fan of the shooting sports! Funny thing is, she likes my .40 the best. Figured it would have been the 9, but she said the .40 is just easier due to the trigger and sights.

Since I am kind of new to instructing kids (my boys are kind of naturally into it because of their grandpa and intro whole in diapers), what is the best way to train a kid in the fundamentals without in turn turning them off to shooting?

I can teach privates PMI, is it the same just with soft touch? Do we do trigger pull drills to muscle failure, sight drills till cross eyed, and that kind of stuff?

Adjustment to civilian is not easy!!!!!!!!

druryj

In Remembrance / Dec 27 2021
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
So took my step-daughter to the range yesterday while her mom is laid up. This was her first time shooting anything besides my 10/22. Took her mom's 9, my .380 and my .40.

She has a bit to learn, but she did a really good job and the best news........she is now a huge fan of the shooting sports! Funny thing is, she likes my .40 the best. Figured it would have been the 9, but she said the .40 is just easier due to the trigger and sights.

Since I am kind of new to instructing kids (my boys are kind of naturally into it because of their grandpa and intro whole in diapers), what is the best way to train a kid in the fundamentals without in turn turning them off to shooting?

I can teach privates PMI, is it the same just with soft touch? Do we do trigger pull drills to muscle failure, sight drills till cross eyed, and that kind of stuff?

Adjustment to civilian is not easy!!!!!!!!

You already know the answer but I'll validate for you. "No" to the drill sergeant routine. You will turn her off to shooting and she'll think you're a dick.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Take her out for casual shooting fun stuff like reactive targets. Emphasize safety first. Then take her to a steel challenge match for an introduction to competition.
Both of you might get hooked. :D

RetiredTater

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
So, quick update. Took the fiance and step-kids out to my family's place before it got shut down for deer/clay season.

No reactive targets, but did take a nice selection of rifles and pistols. And what I love about my family, more pistols and rifles showed up. Spent several hours out there shooting and spending some bonding time. It was a little more relaxed and a whole lot easier to teach/train without being at an indoor range and only got into the "Drill Sergeant Mode" one time, but that was because of a weapon malfunction due to ammo. Her son was shooting factory ammo in my .40 and had an insufficient charge.

The fiance helped me to keep calm and not go into the over critical mode and all of us had a great time. Kids have already asked when we can go again and they got bummed when I said after deer/clay season. Then really bummed when they asked when that was and I told them February. We are going to still do pistols at the indoor ranges, but not a lot of good ranges around that I have access to for plinking and fun stuff.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
So, quick update. Took the fiance and step-kids out to my family's place before it got shut down for deer/clay season.

No reactive targets, but did take a nice selection of rifles and pistols. And what I love about my family, more pistols and rifles showed up. Spent several hours out there shooting and spending some bonding time. It was a little more relaxed and a whole lot easier to teach/train without being at an indoor range and only got into the "Drill Sergeant Mode" one time, but that was because of a weapon malfunction due to ammo. Her son was shooting factory ammo in my .40 and had an insufficient charge.

The fiance helped me to keep calm and not go into the over critical mode and all of us had a great time. Kids have already asked when we can go again and they got bummed when I said after deer/clay season. Then really bummed when they asked when that was and I told them February. We are going to still do pistols at the indoor ranges, but not a lot of good ranges around that I have access to for plinking and fun stuff.

Sounds like your plan worked. I've never been comfortable with a new shooter at an indoor range. Too many rules, but those rules are there for a reason, to keep things safe.

Kids love to walk a can across the ground with a .22, and do fun things. It would be nice if you could get them to some private ground that is not set aside for hunting.

I've had mine shoot tomato's, clay targets, etc. They like that a lot better than punching paper. This time of year, the garden produces a lot of "targets". :D

Take some 2X4"s or 4X4's to shoot so they can see how much penetration a bullet can get. Always tie in safety with each different type of shooting. When shooting 2X4's tell them how a bullet can leave a house and enter another house to kill somebody, and so on.

RetiredTater

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Oh, glad you mentioned that. I took a 3 foot piece of 2x4 with us and before they touched a gun I put 1 round through it with the 9, .40, AR, .22, and and the .44 Carbine. Before we went to get the board, had em try to guess which one had biggest exit hole. Then explained how much damage a bullet can do, even a .22.

Almost have the OL talked into getting up early one weekend for a competition.

It is not really set aside for hunting, just preferred if it is. It was supposed to have been set aside for dove already, and they will hunt deer a few times, but before long if I ask again won't be an issue. Just like to stay in good graces with the kinfolk.

Never thought about the tomatoes! Granted my bigger tomatoes never really produced this year. Lots of cherries though.

Remember exploding cans of water as a kid with my dad, or him having me punch specific letters on coke cans.

Sent from my LGUS990 using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Top Bottom