Stevens Model 84C

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

YakBasser

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Hey Historians! Just picked up this old Stevens for Cheap$ and am refurbing it. It's a model 84c, chambered .22 S/L/LR, 5rd clip. Got lucky again, the bore looks absolutely like new, and bolt is spotless. I can't tie it down to an exact production year (no serial#), but something I read said 1936-1944. Could this be right? Rimfire Central doesn't have the exact info either.

The stock had been sprayed (varnished) really heavy, as well as the clip-well plate, trigger and trigger guard. All scratches and dents prior to its last makeover were filled with some kind of wood filler instead of sanding them out, so I've got about 8hrs of hand sanding in it. Here's a before pic, and I'll post more of the after when it gets closer. Waiting on stain and oil to dry now.

Thanks for any help or input on I.D.

:thumb:
BEFORE:
[Broken External Image]
AFTER:
[Broken External Image]

[Broken External Image]

YakBasser

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
UPDATED
Hey Historians! Just picked up this old Stevens for Cheap$ and am refurbing it. It's a model 84c, chambered .22 S/L/LR, 5rd clip. Got lucky again, the bore looks absolutely like new, and bolt is spotless. I can't tie it down to an exact production year (no serial#), but something I read said 1936-1944. Could this be right? Rimfire Central doesn't have the exact info either.

The stock had been sprayed (varnished) really heavy, as well as the clip-well plate, trigger and trigger guard. All scratches and dents prior to its last makeover were filled with some kind of wood filler instead of sanding them out, so I've got about 8hrs of hand sanding in it. Here's a before pic, and I'll post more of the after when it gets closer. Waiting on stain and oil to dry now.

Thanks for any help or input on I.D.

:thumb:
BEFORE:
[Broken External Image]
AFTER:
[Broken External Image]

[Broken External Image]

ENC

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Looks great I have a Savage 6a with a tiger looking stock all original and needing a good refinishing to bring out the character.

Evan

Traxxis

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
That looks really good.

If I may suggest a couple things, it's often best to remove the finish with a stripper solvent. This way, it wont round any edges or remove any word.

Any dents can actually be ironed out. :) Really, that's no joke. If you can talk your wife into letting you use her iron, wrap your gun in a towel and run the iron over the places where there are bumps. Your iron should be on the steam setting. What it does is impregnates steam into the dents and causes it to swell to its original state. It works wonders.

Another thing you can do... you can use a hair dryer or heat gun and heat up the parts of the stock that are very dark because it has absorbed too much oil and stain over the years. What it will do is actually begin to seep out of the grain, and you can wipe it with a napkin until it reaches the color you desire. However, this doesn't work if it has a top coat of varnish on it.

That looks really good. Did you use teak oil?

YakBasser

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Traxxis, thanks. Usually I just use linseed oil, but this time I wanted to go a little darker, and used some "special walnut" stain. It was my first attempt with the stain, and i think I used too fine grit of sandpaper to finish with before staining. Wish I would've known your tricks then! Thanks for the info. I'll definetly use those techniques next time, or may strip it down and try it again later.

TJay74

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I recieved a old Stevens single shot .22LR no too long ago after my grandfather passed. It also has no serial # and it dated in either the late 20's or early 30's.

I know it was something like $3 new, they show to be only worth around $100 now.

Anyone knnow of a good place to finds parts for them, mine is missing the butt plate. I would like to get a new one and maybe a new bolt and firing pin as well.

Latest posts

Top Bottom