Steyr Mannlicher m1888

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

1mathom1

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Anybody with experience with a Steyr Mannlicher M1888? May be coming into one soon and I know nothing about them. Forerunner of the 1895 I guess.

AKguy1985

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Should be chambered for the 8X50r round not 8X59r. And would also be black powder I believe. Has it been sporterized? Is it numbers matching? There is a guy on gunboards that is very knowledgeable on those but his screen name escapes me right now.

1mathom1

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Should be chambered for the 8X50r round not 8X59r. And would also be black powder I believe. Has it been sporterized? Is it numbers matching? There is a guy on gunboards that is very knowledgeable on those but his screen name escapes me right now.
Won't actually have it in my hands till this weekend but I do believe the stock has been messed with.

1mathom1

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Finally got it in my hands. This 130 year old rifle was not well cared for to say the least.
It's pretty rough. Comparing pics of original guns with this one it is very evident the forearm has been cut WAY back. Cleaning rod is missing. All the barrel bands are gone as is the rear sling loop. Bolt opens and closes and seems to lock. It is very sticky but a good cleaning would help. Action does not appear to have any rust. The barrel has not been cut but rifling at the muzzle appears to be nearly shot out. Looks like someone attempted a Krylon refinish of the barrel exterior. Original sights are still there.
Though I do have an M1, I am not what you'd call a military surplus collector so I will not be trying to resurrect it.
Did find some interesting reading on making the 8x50r ammo. Not likely to do that either.

Latest posts

Top Bottom