Stock check on creedmoor

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

steelfingers

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
It's the stock. Took the American predator creedmoor to Ada range to check if I've got an issue with my rifle, stock, comp or ammo.
Using the same hornady black box 140 grain at 100 yards. Put in my Lead Sled Solo that allows me to lock down the front rest just ahead of the mag well.
Picture below shows the first 4 rounds center. Top right, 3 round together left and the flier top right. Bottom right one click adjustment and 3 rounds together and one flier.
Barrel was hot and finished with 2 shots bottom right and they had begun to spread and that's ok.
Only difference from today and yesterdays bad results was the position of the front rest. I also checked the float clearance of the barrel and stock and notice it may be touching at the front.
Any upward force on the fore end of the stock will cause it to meet the barrel. May just order the Boyds At one stock or just jump in with the LSS

steelfingers

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
No pictures. So you shot it with the comp on it?
I did. Left the comp on and almost sure it's the stock. Really like the comp. Looking forward with playing with it a bit. Needs to be tuned a smidgen left as that's the direction the barrel moves. It's cool you can do that.
Will try the comp off too and see if that matters. Just no time today.

steelfingers

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
The stock is touching the barrel. Not sure what happened but it bugged me all night. Came home from lunch and pulled the stock off to see if the screws were loose and they were torqued at 60 inch lbs. Checked the scope rings and they were tight.
Put the stock back on and checked the clearance on the stock and barrel. It's touching at the fore end. Can't get a bill down the barrel if you have it resting at the fore end of the stock. Moving the rest to the mag and it will go down the barrel but you can tell it's touching.
Dremel in the future. This is somewhat common with these cheap stocks. Don't know why this happened suddenly.
When I got the gun, that was one of the first things I checked. Either the added minimal weight of the comp (I mean minimal) was just enough to get it to drag or running the barrel hot caused some kind of issue with the stock bending under heat. Heck if I know.
Going to dremel the hell out of the stock and make sure it has clearance. Shouldn't be any big thing to do and can make it look good.
Before I do that, I'm going to shoot with comp off but I think that's not the issue when I know the stock is touching the barrel.
Free float my ass! Ha.

steelfingers

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
If it's unfinished on the inside, moisture absorption may cause a bit of flex that can vary with humidity.

Just a thought.
This is the plastic looking flimsy stock (God know's what it's really made of. Probably hanging chads) from Ruger. The more I learn about this stock the more I want to just go wild trying to make it better like filling the front end lower where there is little box sections with an epoxy or something similar to make it heavier and more firm.