Stock competition gun

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

loudshirt

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Keep the info coming. I currently have an XD .40 service (4in) model. I currently do use my XD for IDPA right now. I want to shoot SSP since that is what all my friends shoot and 9mm for cheaper ammo :)

opnblstr

New to the site!
Reaction score
I'm a longtime GLOCK hater...until I got a G17 Gen 4 about a month ago. It really changed my mind on GLOCKs.

This is really becoming my favorite now. I run it with no added backstraps and it doesn't point like a GLOCK at all - a very good thing (for me). Installed .125 10-8 rear and .125 Hienie front black sights and did basic trigger smoothing and that's it. The new recoil system sucks up a lot of the flip and curiously makes the gun feel the same no matter what loads I shoot through it. It also makes the gun cycle very fast. The new mag release is PERFECT. The RTF3 texture absolutely does not need grip tape or aftermarket stippling. I highly recommend trying the Gen 4 in person - GLOCK got a lot right on this one.

Lance is spot on regarding the M&P. They have an extraction issue with some of the 9mm guns - not all of them. Most run 100% out of the box - others won't digest 100 rounds without the extractor slipping off the cases - and the cases will usually just drop right out of the chamber when you clear it - they're NOT stuck. The malfunctions can usually be fixed with a new extractor or the old one can be remachined and hardened by someone knowledgeable with the problem. One very old batch of M&Ps left the factory with chambers that had rough radial machine marks in the chambers that didn't help matters much. If you're buying used watch for that. I'm not going to bash them any more than that - S&W just needs to make a few minor changes to get four nines reliability. Hopefully they do it quick because it's a very good gun!

If you're thinking M&P, definitely go PRO. There is a HUGE difference in shootability (recoil, torque, and recovery) between the standard 4" and the PRO. M&P triggers can be tuned to feel quite nice and light if that's your thing. Weight, overtravel, and reset distance are all adjustable by a knowledgeable smith. The PRO uses a through hardened sear so it doesn't need surface hardening after machining and stoning it.

Funny thing about GLOCKs is when you see one choking, it's almost always a gun that's had aftermarket barrels, springs, etc installed.

jtischauser

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Let me start by saying less than a year ago I was making the same decision you are now. I was shooting an XDM 9. I started going to more matches and saw a lot of Glocks and more and more M&P's. So I bought a G34 & a M&P Pro to do a side by side comparison.
I ended up with the G34. Now I have two of them and a G35 for limited. Here are the good bad and ugly about both guns.
The M&P pro is a great gun. If you plan to change the trigger and want an adjustable rear sight like I did save yourself a few bucks and buy a M&P9L. You will save $60 or so and then you can give the gun and the $60 savings to olyeller to put some Dawson sights and a trigger job that is 100% better than a stock M&P pro's "better" trigger.
If you buy new I wouldn't worry too much about the extractor issues. I have heard that problem is long gone. If you buy used olyeller can fix the extractor problem if it appears.
The reason I didn't like the MP was that the grip just didn't feel right to me no matter what backstrap I installed. As a newbie at the time I also couldn't get over the long trigger take up and that weird little hinged trigger safety. Now I know the trigger take up doesn't matter as you take that out prepping the trigger and keep it out until you reload. I wish I had kept my gun as I think I would enjoy it much more now.
The reason I did like the glock 34 more was that it just felt better during recoil. The sights seem to return to where they need to be faster and more consitently. I originally hated the grip angle and big grip but now it's great. I still get a bad case of slide bite because there isn't a big enough beavertail but I grip the gun unusually high and have large dickbeaters. Plus my Glocks run trouble free. If you feed them ammo that's in spec and don't out a bunch of uneeded aftermarket crap in/on them.
Both guns need new sights and a trigger job so there is no money to be saved there. Both guns are sought after in the competition crowd so you can always get a good price if you chose to sell either gun. The Glock has the advantage when it comes to finding parts and people that can work on them. You can buy Glock mags all day long for $20. Olyeller cam do a sweet little internal magwell to the Glock that's legal in uspsa.
The Glock is the most popular gun in USPSA production division and I would expect the same in IDPA but don't know for sure. What that means to me is that you can find more shooters to buy or borrow holsters and mags from if you ever forget something or break something at a match.
Either way you go your looking in the right direction for sure. You're welcome to shoot my gun at any match just ask.

gwkoch

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
I just recently started entering "Steel Challenge" events myself. I use the XD-M 9mm for these events. I am very pleased with my results and how it shoots. I own two other XD's and by comparision the XD-M feels the best. It does have a longer barrel over the standard service model and a shorter travel trigger as well. I also like how you can change out the back strap to suit your hand/grip better.

Keyser328

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I've run a good number of rounds down my Pro over the last few months and I've yet to have a light strike, FTE, or FTF. I've run both factory ammo (PMC, WWB, Monarch brass and steel, etc) as well has light 'hand loads' and she's gobbled them down with zero issue. In fact, the hand loads are so light they're just barely over minor power factor, and they still operate smooth and fast.

The only issues I've had were due to operator error, not the firearm. :grumble:

I'll have my Pro at OCG&R tomorrow morning, and my buddy will have his new G34 as well. I should be easy to spot with the long red goatee and Guinness hat. If you make it out, track us down, you're welcome to put a few down range to try them out.

It's all subjective. What's right for each of us is different, and I'm all for making informed decisions ;)

Glock 'em down

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I've got a Glock 35 for sale over in the want ads that was practically invented for IDPA use (it fits in "the box"). Also, it's gonna be a helluva lot cheaper than one you buy in a store, and it's damn near brand new!

Shameless plug. :rolleyes2

Roarak

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
GED: I may have a buyer for your 35, ill call him tonight.

As for the OP: SSP and Production division is ruled by Glocks and M&P Pro's. I just picked up a new Glock 34 this week and am very happy. Keyser is my buddy with the M&P Pro, and it was a really hard choice. Ive shot a Glock 21 for about 15 years, and shoot it well so a 34 was the easy choice for me. The aftermarket support on Glocks is just insane as well, you can get anything you want quickly, easily and cheaply

You really cant go wrong with either one, hook up with one of us and shoot a few rounds downrange and see which one you like better.

The nice thing about either one... New sights, and a trigger job and you a platform that will take you as far as you want to go.

dauthement1

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I just started shooting an M&P Pro and i love it!!

If you get either the Glock or M&P as stated in this thread a few times, they will need to go to O'Yeller and get a trigger job and sights. You can shoot a while with the factory kit first a while to save up $$ for the aftermarket work.