Stock Refinishing Question

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nimaro

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I could kick myself. I was finishing a cmp special stock with pure tung oil before applying a couple coats of Toms 1/3 mix. Apparently I touched the tung oil while it was still tacky on the last coat and left some finger prints on it that went unnoticed until after I had applied a couple coats of the gunstock wax. Does anyone have any suggestions on how to clear up this fubar on my part without having to start over on the stock? Any ideas would be greatly appreciated. Ive spent a great deal of time getting the stock just the way I wanted it to look so it was quite disheartening to notice the blemishes, again any helpful ideas would be a huge help. Thanks

Nimaro

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Sorry, its Walnut. I was thinking steelwool dipped in mineral spirits then hit the spots with a quick layer of tung oil before reapplying the 1/3 mix. Just wanted to check with others before i went and did something silly

coolhandluke

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Sorry, its Walnut. I was thinking steelwool dipped in mineral spirits then hit the spots with a quick layer of tung oil before reapplying the 1/3 mix. Just wanted to check with others before i went and did something silly

That is exactly the right thing to do. Just make sure to give the final coat of tung oil plenty of time to cure before adding the wax. The standard time for BLO is 48 hours, so I would suggest doubling that for PTO.

Here's my CMP special walnut stock finished with BLO and Tom's 1/3 mix. I've since switched over to using Johnson's paste wax on the stock. It gives a little more protection and doesn't soften and weep like the beeswax mix does on trips to the range.

i181.photobucket.com_albums_x97_mach_won_CMPStock028E.jpg

Latest posts

Top Bottom