Storm shelter recommendation

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

turkeyrun

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Any is better than nothing.

Kind like a parachute or carrying a gun. You hope don't need it, but better than needing it and not having it.

Get the biggest, best you can. All have advantages / disadvantages. In garage / below ground best IMHO. My biggest complaint / concern with most shelters / cellars is only 1 entrance / exit. :twocents:

Wheel Gun

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'm seeing photos from Moore of cars and trees sitting on top of outdoor/in-ground shelters. I wonder how hard it would be to put a jack in my in-ground shelter to help get that door open? I know that the newer garage-floor models have rams to get the sliding doors back open. In my case, my door swings outward/upward, so a heavy object on top would make it pretty impossible to open.

Minimally, I need to get some sort of siren or signaling device that would help rescue crews locate us.

Rez Exelon

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'm seeing photos from Moore of cars and trees sitting on top of outdoor/in-ground shelters. I wonder how hard it would be to put a jack in my in-ground shelter to help get that door open? I know that the newer garage-floor models have rams to get the sliding doors back open. In my case, my door swings outward/upward, so a heavy object on top would make it pretty impossible to open.

Minimally, I need to get some sort of siren or signaling device that would help rescue crews locate us.

Another idea might be to keep a spare cell battery in there and note your precise GPS coordinates. You may not be able to get a GPS fix inside the shelter when the SHTF but you're more likely to be able to text the coordinates out if you already have them. This also helps in case street signs and such are wiped off the face of the earth.

Wheel Gun

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
you're more likely to be able to text the coordinates out if you already have them. This also helps in case street signs and such are wiped off the face of the earth.

What a great idea. Thanks.

Include ear plugs, not only for the pressure changes caused by a twister over head, but that siren is going to be pretty loud in such a small enclosure.

"Quick. Dig here! This note says that there's a deaf man buried down here. [reading] Wait. No, it says that he's just deafened himself."

Rez Exelon

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score

freewookie

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
That's interesting and love the UT site!

My concern with cinder block construction is what happened to the schools. Pretty sure they were cinder block.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

Latest posts

Top Bottom