Storm shelter recommendation

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rez Exelon

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
That's interesting and love the UT site!

My concern with cinder block construction is what happened to the schools. Pretty sure they were cinder block.

True. I doubt they would have been filled with concrete though. That plan takes about 25 cu yards of concrete. If my math is correct, that's about 625 bags at about $4 a pop is about $2500 plus the rebar, plus the fill sand plus the other supplies = super duper pricey. Not to mention the effort. I would really be tempted, were I building this, to do it half sunk into the ground with a sloped embankment around it.

Then again, if I have the kind of money to build this, I'd probably have money to have land and to sink it more than a few feet in the ground where the drones would have a harder time spotting it on thermal sensors.

freewookie

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
True. I doubt they would have been filled with concrete though. That plan takes about 25 cu yards of concrete. If my math is correct, that's about 625 bags at about $4 a pop is about $2500 plus the rebar, plus the fill sand plus the other supplies = super duper pricey. Not to mention the effort. I would really be tempted, were I building this, to do it half sunk into the ground with a sloped embankment around it.

Then again, if I have the kind of money to build this, I'd probably have money to have land and to sink it more than a few feet in the ground where the drones would have a harder time spotting it on thermal sensors.

Yikes! Might as well pay someone to do ICF for that price. We're looking to build and will probably go with ICF construction and a basement.

Droberts

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
just ordered and scheduled an install date for june 5th (two weeks from now) for a 7x10x6.2 foot concrete below ground sloped shelter for 3850$. wait time isnt very bad right now if you're gonna order one do it now before the wait does get bad.

Dale00

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'm seeing photos from Moore of cars and trees sitting on top of outdoor/in-ground shelters. I wonder how hard it would be to put a jack in my in-ground shelter to help get that door open? I know that the newer garage-floor models have rams to get the sliding doors back open. In my case, my door swings outward/upward, so a heavy object on top would make it pretty impossible to open.

Minimally, I need to get some sort of siren or signaling device that would help rescue crews locate us.

A stout whistle of the type recommended for hikers, maybe.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Another idea might be to keep a spare cell battery in there and note your precise GPS coordinates. You may not be able to get a GPS fix inside the shelter when the SHTF but you're more likely to be able to text the coordinates out if you already have them. This also helps in case street signs and such are wiped off the face of the earth.

If you contact your local fire department or county emergency services, they will come to your shelter, get a GPS fix, and it will be put on a list of locations to check in the event of a disaster. Its a free service.

We live in the country, put in a shelter, and had this done. I didn't wan't to die in that hole with a tree over the door.

Old Timer

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Yikes! Might as well pay someone to do ICF for that price. We're looking to build and will probably go with ICF construction and a basement.
ICF works great! Build your basement, first floor walls and safe room with them. I have seen ICF houses stand up to Hurricanes.
Would like to see one that was hit by a tornado. Just make sure you have the correct slump in your concrete. Otherwise you can have air pockets.
They also make an aluminum deck that you can slide together and you use it to hold the concrete as you pour for the roof of your safe room. If you are going with a basement, I would put the safe room down there.

Dale00

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I think I'm going to go to Academy and pick up a couple of compressed-air boat horns. Pointed up one of the vent stacks, they'd get some attention. I'll also pick up some ear plugs. :)

Some chemical glo sticks would be good also. Tie one to a long stick and run it up the vent stack if it's nighttime.

Wheel Gun

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The missus had a good idea. Our in-ground shelter has a straight 4" hooded vent and a whirlybird/turbine vent. She suggested that we put a 2X4 in the shelter that we could use to punch out the vents from the inside. That way, we could use the open holes to wave a flag or shout through or toss out a flare. Clever woman, her.

turkeyrun

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Include ear plugs, not only for the pressure changes caused by a twister over head, but that siren is going to be pretty loud in such a small enclosure.

Thought LOUD was the main idea???????????

We keep a doz smoke bombs in a ziplock bag in Moms. Rotate them out every 6 months (when the fireworks stands are open). Trapped - hear activity - light smoke bomb and hold it in vent.
Large Hydraulic Bottle jack (<$100) to help lift door is also good insurance.

Looking into in ground / in garage for our house, but with added 2nd door outside. Just don't like the thought of only 1 way out.

Latest posts

Top Bottom