Strange RCBS Bullet mold

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BReeves

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Friend of mine brought over what was marked an RCBS 22 bullet mold he bought off eBay. Sorry didn't write down the numbers but he had a 2003 catalogue that showed the mold for the number on his mold. Problem is the cavitys in his mold measured 7mm not 22 and the mold looks nothing like the bullet it is suppose to produce from the catalogue picture.

Wondering if anyone has ever ran into this before. I did an on line search and couldn't find anything close to what this mold will produce. Either RCBS mis marked it or someone did a fantastic job modifying it.

MacFromOK

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Friend of mine brought over what was marked an RCBS 22 bullet mold he bought off eBay. Sorry didn't write down the numbers but he had a 2003 catalogue that showed the mold for the number on his mold. Problem is the cavitys in his mold measured 7mm not 22 and the mold looks nothing like the bullet it is suppose to produce from the catalogue picture.

Wondering if anyone has ever ran into this before. I did an on line search and couldn't find anything close to what this mold will produce. Either RCBS mis marked it or someone did a fantastic job modifying it.
7mm is approx .275 inches, so maybe a .270?

Just a thought. :drunk2:

BReeves

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
The catalogue had 7mm listed at something like 0.286. Can't remember the exact number but pretty shure of the 0.28 which is what the mold measured.

BReeves

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
No pictures he took the mold with him and he lives an hour away.
Looked it up, RCBS 7mm mold is 0.285 according to the web and that is what the mold measured. I was not able to find a mold that was anything like the one he had. It had 4 small lube groves and no gas check. His mold was marked 22-055-SP which should have been 0.225 with a single lube grove and gas check. Weird...

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
You can have custom molds made from many of the mold suppliers and I would not put it past the supplier
to accept an old mold that you would sent in and have it refurbished to a bullet you may like better.

So say the number on the mold is the old .22 bullet mold and someone sent that mold back to RCBS and asked them to make that mold into something different.

That is all I could think would have happened.
I have built my own mold with aluminum I had laying around and I have changed the bullet shape 3 times in one of the holes.

Latest posts

Top Bottom