Stupid brass question

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DRC458

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Nothin' 'stupid' about it. I tumbled as needed, when I'm getting ready to load. But, you bring up a good point. It might be more 'efficient' to tumble as soon as time permits, so you always have some clean brass waiting in the wings.

adamsredlines

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I've been going through all my brass, sorting, tumbling and bagging it so its ready to roll.

I also find I have stuff that may be trade fodder for stuff I need...but it too will be shiney :D

rickm

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I tumble and work my brass when i get free time and bored with nothing to do. But i always have brass cleaned and worked for when i get to the reloading stage so if i do need to load some on the spare of the moment i already have it done up and ready.

Profreedomokie

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I keep a lot of my brass in what I call "ready" state. I tumble it ,sort out the bad, check the length, trim if needed , and full length size it. I'll anneal it about every third loading. I have tool heads for my 650 that are set up for brass needing full length sizing and for ready brass. It makes things quicker if I want to load something different from what I have on hand.

Ignored Member

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
I tumble and work my brass when i get free time and bored with nothing to do. But i always have brass cleaned and worked for when i get to the reloading stage so if i do need to load some on the spare of the moment i already have it done up and ready.

I second this.
For pistol brass, I have a 5 gallon bucket with clean brass ready to go in the progressive. When it gets low, i start cleaning more to replenish.
For rifle brass, I'll clean, size/deprime, and re-prime so all I have to do is add powder and a bullet. When that gets low I'll do another 5-700 round batch.

Glock 40

Problem Solver
Special Hen
Reaction score
I normally always have brass ready to load in the common stuff I use 9mm, 38spc and .223 I will normally tumble when its a 150 or so pieces at minimum. On range brass for stuff I don't shoot like 40s&W, I have separate bins that once they fill up I tumble them. I will usually tumble all that stuff once in a while. Stuff I use I keep stuff sorted in different stages. So some ready to be loaded, some needs de-capping, some needs trimming, some need swagging. My son does 95% of all of it because he can't sit still and hates being bored. So I try to stay ahead of him.

Mad Professor

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Do you tumble as needed, or tumble ASAP and store it "clean"?

I try to keep a pretty large quantity on hand ready to load. A few months ago, I became very concerned when I got down to my last bucket of 9mm and started getting after it before I ran out. I should be be good for a while, but hope to keep up with consumption here on out.

Dumpstick

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Handgun brass I have deprime and put it in a container. When the container is full I tumble the batch, then sort by headstamp and put in my 'ready' container.

Rifle brass I deprime and clean the primer pocket within a few days of shooting. Much of my rifle brass I don't tumble, but wash and set out in the sun to dry.

Latest posts

Top Bottom