Suggestions for Removing Paint from Plastic AR Stock?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zghorner

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
i1135.photobucket.com_albums_m627_zghorner_12915248_10101772234984121_1014047185_o.jpg

Bought a gun that had this stock on it, i really like everything about it besides the color. The paint will flake off with my fingernail if I give it enough digit grease so its not well bonded. My plan is to repaint it brown but don't want to lay more paint over a not so adhered layer of paint. What would be the best way of removing the paint without damaging the stock? I have paint stripper, laquer thinner and other solvents like that just not sure how the plastic will react to it. What suggest ye OSA?

zghorner

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
thanks man, I looked into it and seems like others have used citristrip on guns without any issues. I also found out I have a friend of a friend with a blast cabinet. Checking to see if he has any soft media as that would probably be the easiest way to get it done.

tRidiot

Perpetually dissatisfied
Special Hen
Reaction score
thanks man, I looked into it and seems like others have used citristrip on guns without any issues. I also found out I have a friend of a friend with a blast cabinet. Checking to see if he has any soft media as that would probably be the easiest way to get it done.
The blast cabinet is what we had to do. I tried lacquer thinner and paint stripper, let it soak, even, nothing would get it off.

druryj

In Remembrance / Dec 27 2021
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have also used that citrus stripper stuff to get old paint off a synthetic stock and it worked fast and fine for me.

brown_one2

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I used the citrus stripper on a plastic stock. Worked great. This stock had 3 layers of paint in different colors. I applied generously and let set for about an hour. Came right off.

Mkokc

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Just me, by if it's polymer, I just use B-12 chemtool on a rag, takes it completely off in no time at all and leaves nothing behind, doesn't harm the polymer at all

Latest posts

Top Bottom