Sumac Master Chef

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SoonerP226

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Poison oak, is a vine that climbs trees, Poison Ivy is a stand alone plant. Same basic plant, but cousins.
Same genus, different species. BTW, all of the poison ivy on my place climbs trees, which apparently makes it eastern poison ivy, per this page from the CDC:
http://www.cdc.gov/niosh/topics/plants/
That page also indicates that we get both eastern (normally a vine) and western (normally a shrub) poison ivy, but only Atlantic poison oak. Lucky us. :wave:

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Ok so here is the cure to never get it.
But first the story.
Year 1984..playing base ball with buddies.. get to talking about the field area and the poison ivy in there.
They state (2 brothers) they do not get it...I call BS and grab a plastic sack and go pluck some.. they rub it all over them ,, under the shirt on back of neck...I did not touch it!!! i reached through the bag to pluck some..

WOW 2 days later i got it really bad.. they have nothing at all...
I forgot they touched the ivy and the ball and gloves and bat.. as did i.

Now they told me their Grandpa had a goat and fed it the poison ivy for 2 weeks pinned up.
I have no idea if it had other stuff to eat but probably so...
Then grandpa called their mom to bring the kids over ,,they were not into the teen years yet.
They stayed the weekend and drank that goat's milk.

I do not know how much they drank..
But the only cure i know to be true.

Latest posts

Top Bottom