Summer Coyote Hunting?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BrentSP

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
I haven't done any Coyote hunting but have wanted to and actually plan on going for the first time a week from this Saturday. I have a IPod loaded with numerous coyote calls and distress calls connected to a portable but loud amp/speaker.

I live in the Shawnee/Meeker area and wanted to know...... am I wasting my time going out there before sunrise to find coyotes in the middle of summer? I enjoy just getting out in the outdoors and away from the hussle and bussle of life and career so if there wasn't any coyotes out there I would just make sure to have my shot gun with me for some crow hunting :). But on the other hand, I'm taking my wifes Boss with me on this little local hunting trip and don't want to waste his time either.

If I get a chance, I'll try to go out and scout this weekend or sometime before the time of hunt and see if I can locate them. I've done this before in the early spring, early evening and never have been able to localize them.....but I hear them in the fall/winter night all the time. My 5 year old daughter and I camped out in a tent in the backyard last weekend and was thinking I was going to hear some howling but it was a very quiet night.

imhntn

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have had luck but do not like the ticks and chiggers and skeeters. Use the pup distress call and have a shotgun. They come in crazy fast and will run over you. It can be hard to get a shot. Let us know how it goes.

BrentSP

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have had luck but do not like the ticks and chiggers and skeeters. Use the pup distress call and have a shotgun. They come in crazy fast and will run over you. It can be hard to get a shot. Let us know how it goes.

You think setting up before sunrise is probably the correct thing to do?

criticalbass

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Hides are not much good in hot weather, but the coyotes are there all the time. Friend saw one in south OKC today about 7:30 am. His description sounds like it has mange. Hope that crap doesn't spread through the 'yote population again.

+10 on the chiggars, ticks, and skeeters. Gotta be dedicated. CB

imhntn

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
You think setting up before sunrise is probably the correct thing to do?

Set up early and start calling as soon as it gets light enough to see. Try to keep your scent away from the area you think the coyotes are in. Try to have an open area down wind of you because they will circle that way if smart. Keep one guy facing downwind for the circlers. Here is a youtube link that it fun on calling coyotes. Take some pics if you get one. They will not look too good this time of year.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OpE6UxzHLDQ&feature=related

okhunter

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Coyotes are fairly easy to call this time of year but like someone said I can't stand the ticks and chiggers. If you do plan on going though try the pup distress like imhntn said. If you do kill one keep calling as there is almost always a pair this time of year. FYI crow season is closed.

Scott

BrentSP

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
One thing I'm complicating on is which gun to bring. I have a Sako .308 with Nikon BDC 3-9x50 scope and a Remington 700 Police .308 with Bushnell Elite 10x40 with turret knobs. Remy is heavier due to a heavy contour 26" barrel but a tack driver to say the least and would take a few seconds longer to dial in after getting a range on the range finder. The Sako is very lite, soda straw 22" barrel and with the Nikon BDC can get a general "estimate" hold over after getting a range reading. And theres also the Weatherby 7mm mag but a .308 is already pushing it to much but thats smallest caliber I own.

Latest posts

Top Bottom