Summer Coyote Hunting?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

okhunter

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I would use the sako and turn the scope down to 3 or 4 power.Your shots will most likely be closer than you think and if they are out further you should have time to turn up the power. Use whatever you shoot well. The furs are no good this time of year so dead is dead. Won't matter on the caliber.
Dennis is right about the coyotes going through the cows. Just be careful and take plenty of pictures.

Scott

Okieyote

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I dont' usually do any calling in the summer. Got bored a couple days ago and tried calling out by Gracemont with a buddy. I started out with a challenge then went to pup distress. Probably two minutes later we had one coming in hard. That was the only dog we saw that evening.

They will come in the summer but I sure like calling when its cold alot better.

imhntn

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I dont' usually do any calling in the summer. Got bored a couple days ago and tried calling out by Gracemont with a buddy. I started out with a challenge then went to pup distress. Probably two minutes later we had one coming in hard. That was the only dog we saw that evening.

They will come in the summer but I sure like calling when its cold alot better.

Man you got to quit calling my coyotes at Gracemont.....LOL. I've got a bunch of family land out there to call. Only got out one morning last year but called in 7 and killed 3 of them. That can be a good area.

458 SOCOM

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I haven't done any Coyote hunting but have wanted to and actually plan on going for the first time a week from this Saturday. I have a IPod loaded with numerous coyote calls and distress calls connected to a portable but loud amp/speaker.

I live in the Shawnee/Meeker area and wanted to know...... am I wasting my time going out there before sunrise to find coyotes in the middle of summer? I enjoy just getting out in the outdoors and away from the hussle and bussle of life and career so if there wasn't any coyotes out there I would just make sure to have my shot gun with me for some crow hunting :). But on the other hand, I'm taking my wifes Boss with me on this little local hunting trip and don't want to waste his time either.

If I get a chance, I'll try to go out and scout this weekend or sometime before the time of hunt and see if I can locate them. I've done this before in the early spring, early evening and never have been able to localize them.....but I hear them in the fall/winter night all the time. My 5 year old daughter and I camped out in a tent in the backyard last weekend and was thinking I was going to hear some howling but it was a very quiet night.
Before doing this, I would check the Regs to make sure about electronic call and amplified recordings.

okhunter

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Before doing this, I would check the Regs to make sure about electronic call and amplified recordings.

You can use them on predators but not deer or turkey and some waterfowl. Coyotes are probably the most unrestricted animal in Oklahoma that you can hunt.Day or night, 365 days a year they are legal.

Dennis I am feeling your pain. I have had the itch to go since I called in the last one back in march.

Scott

Latest posts

Top Bottom