Summer Coyote Hunting?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rmitch223

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
lol maybe we can swap hunts sometime. I've been trying to find some coyote thick land since Jan. Its near Rush Springs. Im pretty excited! What part of the state r u calling tomorrow?

RidgeHunter

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
There moving good in my area, I saw two the other evening driving home that were red, and I mean red, never seen any with coats like that before. I thought they were red foxes at first, pretty cool looking. Couldn't get the camera out in time.

Yesterday it was drizzling rain and I just new that I would see some kind of wildlife driving around. About a mile from the house I saw that familar coyote lope crossing the road about 1/4 mile up. I reached for the camera, rolled down the window and whistled. He stopped and looked at me, I lip squeaked to keep his attention and try and focus my camera. Didn't get a very clear shot before he took off. He was trying to snag a Canada goose on a pond and the cattle grouped up and ran him back across the road. There was about 30 cows at the fence and they looked pissed.

Funny thing is I threw it in reverse to try and get another picture, and realized a car was coming up behind me. Woops. If it was a nice buck and not a coyote I probably would have backed into him!:rollingla

ai143.photobucket.com_albums_r135_ereif_1.jpg

BrentSP

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
Well we had fun but didn't get anything, but we did see one coyote.

We got setup up a little before 6am and I did a quick locator call and the land came alive with coyote howls calling back all around us. Very good sign, we were excited. It wasn't until 7:20am until we saw our first and only yote of the day. We both were glass'n and I came across the beautiful light tan yote staring at us. She was curious about the pup distress call. I nudged my hunting partner and then reached down for my range finder and she was 286yds away. Reached for my gun and dialed in a quick 17 clicks up on the scope and she vanished like a ghost. Never did see or hear from her again.

Around 9am we packed up and drove about 10 miles Northwest to another stretch of land that I have permission to but have never taken advantage of, so I was curious to see how good this land was. Beautiful wide open rolling hills piece of land but we never did see are hear anything. So around 11am it was getting hot and we decided to call it a day.

Rmitch223

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Brent, I bet hearing the coyotes howl back from the locator was a pretty neat experience.

Friday night about 1:30am, I drove to a area where I know there are coyotes from seeing tracks and hearing howls at night. I spotted a pair of eyes in a field off the side of the road. I Immediatly stop and started calling using a rabbit distress from my truck, didnt think I would get a response, but the pup slowly started working his way to me until he was stading right in front of my truck about 15 yrds out. He went back to the side of the road after a lil while and I watched him continue down the side of the road for at least 3-5 minutes. Pretty neat experience for me not having seen many of them yet..lol It was a fairly small pup, but had a really nice light colored coat, almost white.

BrentSP

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
Brent, I bet hearing the coyotes howl back from the locator was a pretty neat experience.

Friday night about 1:30am, I drove to a area where I know there are coyotes from seeing tracks and hearing howls at night. I spotted a pair of eyes in a field off the side of the road. I Immediatly stop and started calling using a rabbit distress from my truck, didnt think I would get a response, but the pup slowly started working his way to me until he was stading right in front of my truck about 15 yrds out. He went back to the side of the road after a lil while and I watched him continue down the side of the road for at least 3-5 minutes. Pretty neat experience for me not having seen many of them yet..lol It was a fairly small pup, but had a really nice light colored coat, almost white.

I got excited when I saw that coyote from a far because I wasn't expecting much. I said to myself, "holy crap, they do come out in the summer time". It was obvious she was just getting up for the day because she yawned a few times. We were in a camo hunting pup tent in the middle of the field. I really didn't want to use the tent because there was plenty of low hanging coverage to take advantage of but my partner had just bought it and wanted to use it so we did. We might as well had a neon lit sign saying "coyote hunter right here".

I really need to get a good electric predator call with remote. I had bought a Johnny stewart electric call but ended up taking it back because I felt my home made IPod connected to a radio shack amp and horn was just as good........but having the ability to change calls with the remote is worth the 40 bucks alone.

okhunter

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
You guys are tougher than me hunting this time of year with the heat and bugs. RMitch223 you know your an addict when you're out locating coyotes at 1:30 am on friday night. Cooler weather is around the corner.

Scott

Rmitch223

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
You guys are tougher than me hunting this time of year with the heat and bugs. RMitch223 you know your an addict when you're out locating coyotes at 1:30 am on friday night. Cooler weather is around the corner.

Scott
Yeah Scott...Im addicted and have'nt even had one in my sights yet..lol

Brent, I have been thinking about do the same thing with my I-phone. I just need a good speaker to hook up to it.

Latest posts

Top Bottom