Super Classifier Match at HH (February)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JJ Hiryuu

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
This was my first competitive shooting event, I'm pretty happy with how I did. I shot 69.59%, 73.69%, 63.54%, and 75.69%.

I was the guy in the black hat with the silver American flag on the front, in case anyone remembers me.

jtischauser

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
This was my first competitive shooting event, I'm pretty happy with how I did. I shot 69.59%, 73.69%, 63.54%, and 75.69%.

I was the guy in the black hat with the silver American flag on the front, in case anyone remembers me.

1st competitive shooting event? Where did you learn to shoot so well? Nice job.

jtischauser

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score

Joshua,

I was thinking more about your percentages and this being your first match and it started to sound like you may not know what % we are all talking about in regards to USPSA classifiers. So I looked back through the scores and found you and the percentages that you listed above. The percentages that you stated are the percentage that you shot each stage in your division in comparison to the winner of that particular stage.

e.g. On stage 1 you shot 69.59% of the winner (Sean McCanne) of that stage in Production Class. To calculate your stage percentage of the winner use this equation (1-((winning hit factor-your hit factor)/winning hit factor)))
On stage one Sean had a hit factor of 5.5684, you had a hit factor of 3.8748. So (1-((5.5684-3.8748)/5.5684)))=.6959 The stage was worth a total of 60 match points so Sean got the full 60 points and you received 41.7513 match points for stage 1.

To calculate your total match score you do this same thing for each stage and add the stage points up. The shooter with the most points wins the match.

The classification percentages that the rest of us posted in this thread are a comparison of how we shot that stages in comparison to every other person that has ever shot that same calssifier course of fire. To calculate these % you take your hit factor on each stage and plug them into this website. Classifier Calculator

On stage 1, Melody Line you shot a hit factor of 3.8748 which correlates to a 48.0836% which is a strong C class. On the remainging stages you shot...Front Sight - 5.8577 HF - 46.1088% (C), Can You Count - 7.2754 HF - 43.7252 (C), Mini Mart - 6.0104 - 53.7863 (C). So you will gain an initial classification of "C" class by the USPSA

The purpose of this all classifier match was to earn an initial classification from the United States Practical Shooting Association (USPSA) which is the sanctioning body for our pistol matches. (If you're not a member I suggest you join now!) Initially you need 4 classification to get classified. After you shoot more than 4 classifiers they use a rolling average of 6-8 classifiers and throw out some classifiers for various reasons. Read the USPSA rule book for more on that.

I hope I didn't take the wind out of your sails by explaining this. It is very confusing in the beginning and it took me about 3-4 matches before I figured it out. You did shoot a very good first match! My first production classification was D. After a year of hard work I made it up to B class in Prodcution and C class in everything else. Make sure you get out and shoot the big USPSA matches at OKC Gun Club, USSA, Oil Capital and the other clubs in OK. You won't be dissapointed. You should also try the ProAm pistol/shotgun match and the most fun of them all 3 gun at OKCGC on March 21st.

Welcome to the sickness Joshua.

JJ Hiryuu

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The scoring system is pretty confusing to me, but I think I get the jist of it now.

I came not knowing it was a super classifier, or that I'd be joining the USPSA that night. I was mostly concerned about not getting DQed for doing something silly, and getting a feel for how the stages work. I guess I should have said those were just what I got from that match at H&H.

Didn't take the wind out of my sails at all, I wasn't too worried about how I would stand nationally, I was just happy I did pretty good.

ninefan

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
e.g. On stage 1 you shot 69.59% of the winner (Sean McCanne) of that stage in Production Class. To calculate your stage percentage of the winner use this equation (1-((winning hit factor-your hit factor)/winning hit factor)))
On stage one Sean had a hit factor of 5.5684, you had a hit factor of 3.8748. So (1-((5.5684-3.8748)/5.5684)))=.6959 The stage was worth a total of 60 match points so Sean got the full 60 points and you received 41.7513 match points for stage 1.

It's easier to just divide your hit factor by the stage winner hit factor. 3.8748 / 5.5684 = .6959

:)

Latest posts

Top Bottom