SUPER EXCITED!!!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mr ed

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Not all pre-86's are created equal. Before purchasing you must determine whether its transferable or a dealer sample. Transferables are worth alot. Pre-86 dealer samples are worth quite a bit because they don't require a LEO letter and if I remember right you can keep it after you go out of business. Post-86 samples not much. Many post-86's won't bring the price of the parts kit, so the receiver is usually cut up and the parts kit resold.

Fyrtwuck

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Excuse the ignorance but I thought there was the 1986 cut off on manufacturing fa firearms?

There is. NEW manufacture of machine guns for indivuals was banned May 19, 1986. NEW manufacture can only be sold military and police. And, when I say that, I mean the agencies or the government, NOT the individual officer of member of the armed services.

Anything registered before that date is transferable and costs more than all my credit cards and bank account can handle.

Last edited:

FullAuto

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Anything registered before that date is transferable and costs more than all my credit cards and bank account can handle.
Not "anything". The foreign made machineguns were banned for import and sale to civilians in 1968. So items like HK stuff were imported as a semi and then converted later by registering the trigger box, sear or receiver. Most AKs are post '68 and imported as semiauto then converted later. The Vector Uzi is popular because they were built from scratch as purpose built machineguns... but they had to be made in America to do that. If you want an Israeli gun, they were semi imports (post '68) and had the bolt or receiver registered.

Then there were the much lesser known group of dealer Pre-samples. These were foreign made machineguns that were brought in after the '68 ban. They were limited to dealers only as sales samples. After the '86 ban, they became the Pre-sample group ('68-'86 foreign imported factory machineguns). As mentioned above, they can be bought and sold by an SOT without a demo letter and can kept after the SOT is gone. But if they are ever sold, they have to go to an SOT again. They are quite a bit more expensive than post-samples, but usually only 1/3 - 1/2 the cost of a transferable gun. Of course, you can get the rare ones where there was no transferable version which would drive up the pre-sample price.

Transferables and Pre-samples are investments. Post-samples are toys.

Latest posts

Top Bottom