supplies

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Foghorn

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Is there any place local that youd reccomend to pick up storage supplies?

Ive just started storing up stuff with mainly canned goods but im planning to start getting bulk dried stuff like taters, rice, powdered milk an beans.

Looking for mylar bags, sealers and o2 thingys. Kinda looking for a place that can maybe teach me a few things so I get it right the first time and im the hands on type of person. reading about things doesn't always click.

Im planning to store stuff in 5gal buckets with mylar if that helps any. And im not planning to store tons of stuff. Maybe 30 days worth for a family of 4. May expand later.

Thanks

GeneW

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Absolutely your best move is to visit the LDS Mormon cannery on South Meridan, just south of the OKC Airport. Google up that, get their phone number, and call them first to learn their updated hours.

Once you find out when they are open, you can drive over and buy a LOT of that already canned and ready to go. The prices are dirt cheap, better than you can get anywhere else.

You can also buy mylar bags, O2 whatchamacallems, and some other things.

I am not a Mormon, but I tell you, these folks are nice and just want to help. They will NOT preach to you or ask you any religious questions. They just want to help, that is their mission.

In fact, I am pretty sure they are open Saturday morning from 10am-2pm. Drive over. If someone is there with an appointment to can things, they have first priority. But you can still purchase ready made canned items.

I kid you not, and no offense, but if you don't take advantage of this, you are foolish, and I'm not trying to be a smart ass. It's just that they are an amazing resource, for a number of reasons.

Good luck, and please post back how it went for you.

Gene

358norma

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
LDS is good. A couple of other sources are Red Dawn on 15th street, they have some canned stuff, mylar bags (5-gallon size) and oxygen absorbers. Another good place is the new Chef Store off 240 at Walker. The Chef store is US Foods and they have a lot of bulk food at some really good prices. You can get food grade 5 gallon buckets at Lowes.

pritch

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Thirty days for four people doesn't require 5 gallon buckets. One really nice thing about the LDS cannery is that staples like rice, flour, potatoes, oats & such are vacuum sealed in large coffee cans. You can open one up & consume it before it goes bad.

J.T.

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
If any of you are needing good buckets, I've been getting real nice square, 5+/- gallon buckets from WalMarts cake decorators for free. They need the icing washed out but they are good buckets with lids and "food grade".

Latest posts

Top Bottom