Suppressed gas piston AR?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Coltcombat

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Wanting to run a suppressor on an AR-15.

I had the idea of a SBR (10.5") for a host. (but I'm not dedicated to that option)
But there are so many options and I'm just now really getting into AR's...

The main idea is the reliably run the can... But these are my 2 favorites?
Should I go...
Gas piston 16"
Gas tube 10.5"

What would y'all folks do?
Im only wanting to use quality pArts on this... Noveske,BCM,etc..

I'm just learning about switch blocks and all that stuff... So excuse me if I seem confused on something. I've been a pistol guy for a while..

CAR-AR-M16

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I run a 12.5" Denny's Operator barrel on my suppressed M16. It uses the standard gas system (not piston) and has been 100% reliable for me in semi auto and full auto, both suppressed and non-suppressed.

aimg.photobucket.com_albums_v389_CAR_AR_M16_M16sup.jpg

Coltcombat

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Direct impingement it is...
What about barrel length? Will the shorter barrel and gas tube make for a quieter shot?
Or would the 16" be fine? (wouldn't mind saving the NFA processing time..

Also, what about the gasses on the DI, is a Noveske switch block a necessary part for the silenced AR?
What parts might be needed to on the suppressed AR? Lighter spring?

carready

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
OAS Sponsor
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I like the piston to save time on cleaning. Suppressed gi is VERY DIRTY. I use an 11.5" POF and it is plenty quiet. No hearing protection needed. But a 16" would be quieter.

CAR-AR-M16

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Shorter is quieter.

I disagree with that. The shorter the barrel, the higher the pressure, therfore the higher the sound level. The link below (it is a .mil pdf at the link so I hope you can access it) is from some testing that was done on velocity, pressure and sound level using the same ammo in a barrel that started at 24" and was cut in 1" increments down to 5". The sound pressure level was the lowest at 24" (162.5 dBA ) and the highest at 5" (165.0 dBA).

http://www.dtic.mil/ndia/2010armament/WednesdayCumberlandPhilipDater.pdf

NikatKimber

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator
Reaction score
Shorter is quieter. And switchblocks are unnecessary.

Only if the ammo is subsonic due to being shorter, AND the ammo was designed to burn all the powder BEFORE the bullet exits the barrel. Which for rifle ammo is not typical.

It is my experience with .22s, that 16-18" barrels are quieter than pistols barrels, as the powder is completely burned at that point.

Latest posts

Top Bottom