Suppressed gas piston AR?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

338Shooter

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Shorter is quieter. And switchblocks are unnecessary.

Disagree on both counts.

Shorter is most certainly louder. That is common knowledge. The noveske switchblock also works very well. I was skeptical at first until I actually used one. It greatly reduces gassing to a more normal unsuppressed level when shooting suppressed. You can also shut off the gas with it for the quietest shots. I don't run one on my gun only because of the rail that I want to use doesn't allow it.

Coltcombat

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I like the piston to save time on cleaning. Suppressed gi is VERY DIRTY. I use an 11.5" POF and it is plenty quiet. No hearing protection needed. But a 16" would be quieter.

A gas piston would still get carbon build up and fouling...just on the front end of the gun, and you would have to dissassemble the upper just to clean it? I would think it would take more time to clean due to it having more parts to get dirty...

Opposed to the gas going the the carrier key..
I may be mistaken..

But, I wish i had a POF anyways... :(

tyromeo55

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Damnit.

I meant to say..... Shorter is never quieter.

I swear I'm not that stupid. I own a 10.5 and it's a monster. I was pre occupied with a biscuit and gravy at the moment.

I still think switch blocks are a waste

Coltcombat

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'm looking it a YHM-8100(CARBINE) or YHM-8400(RIFLE) tomorrow
BOTH ARE SPECTER XL SERIES.
ALL MIL. SPEC INTERNALS
1:7 TWIST
16'' DIAMOND FLUTED Chrome-Moly Vanadium Steel Barrel
5C2 AND NEW LOCKING LOW PRO FLIP SIGHTS

WILL EITHER RUN AN AAC M4-1000 OR YHM PHANTOM

So... I will use a Noveske SB on either, but I would the length of gas tube(rifle or carbine) affect sound or function when ran with the can.

CAR-AR-M16

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Damnit.

I meant to say..... Shorter is never quieter.

I swear I'm not that stupid. I own a 10.5 and it's a monster. I was pre occupied with a biscuit and gravy at the moment.

I still think switch blocks are a waste

I thought that is what you actually meant as you are very knowledgeable. Biscuits and gravy make me forgetful too.

CAR-AR-M16

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'm looking it a YHM-8100(CARBINE) or YHM-8400(RIFLE) tomorrow
BOTH ARE SPECTER XL SERIES.
ALL MIL. SPEC INTERNALS
1:7 TWIST
16'' DIAMOND FLUTED Chrome-Moly Vanadium Steel Barrel
5C2 AND NEW LOCKING LOW PRO FLIP SIGHTS

WILL EITHER RUN AN AAC M4-1000 OR YHM PHANTOM

So... I will use a Noveske SB on either, but I would the length of gas tube(rifle or carbine) affect sound or function when ran with the can.

I doubt your ear could tell much difference between a 16" and 20". However, you stick a can onto a 20" barrel and that thing starts to get very long and nose heavy. I would go with the 16" if I were you. Better yet a 14.5" with the mount permanently attached to avoid the transfer tax.

Latest posts

Top Bottom