Suppressor

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mr ed

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
You cant legally do this either. The person on the Form 4 has to keep possession of the Class 3 item the entire time. You are also required to notify the ATF when the address on the Form 4 where the Class 3 item resides changes as well. Failure to do either of these can result in the Class 3 item being removed from your possession and the Foom 4 revoked.

The OP is very limited here if the Class 3 item in listed under a singular persons name, he either keeps it with him and notifies the ATF and files the correct Form to update the address (I think it is a 5510, been awhile since I did mine) to his new address or else sell the Class 3 item and go thru the process to have a Class 3 dealer hold the item until the new owner gets their Form 4 back with the new stamp.
I don't know about "todays rules" but in the olden days leaving it in a safety deposit box was common. It hasn't left your possession because your the one with the key. Deploy to Iraq, lock it up 'til you get back sort of thing.
When MG's got expensive buyers and sellers would open a box together where neither one could get at it til the transfer went thru. That way the seller couldn't disappear with the gun and the money. But times do change !

mr ed

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
If an individual is changing their state of residence, and their application to transport the NFA firearm cannot be approved because of a prohibition in the new state, what options does a lawful possessor have?

In this situation, the individual's NFA firearms may be left in a safe deposit box in their former state of residence. The firearm could also be left or stored in the former state of residence at the house of a friend or relative in a locked room or container to which only the registered owner has a key. The friend or relative should be supplied with a copy of the registration forms and a letter from the owner authorizing storage of the firearm at that location.

The firearms may also be transferred in accordance with National Firearms Act (NFA) regulations or abandoned to ATF.

As per BATFE Q&A site
https://www.atf.gov/firearms/qa/if-...e-and-their-application-transport-nfa-firearm

Last edited:

Mad Professor

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
You cant legally do this either. The person on the Form 4 has to keep possession of the Class 3 item the entire time. You are also required to notify the ATF when the address on the Form 4 where the Class 3 item resides changes as well. Failure to do either of these can result in the Class 3 item being removed from your possession and the Foom 4 revoked.

The OP is very limited here if the Class 3 item in listed under a singular persons name, he either keeps it with him and notifies the ATF and files the correct Form to update the address (I think it is a 5510, been awhile since I did mine) to his new address or else sell the Class 3 item and go thru the process to have a Class 3 dealer hold the item until the new owner gets their Form 4 back with the new stamp.

Man hate to break this to you, but most of this is incorrect.

Latest posts

Top Bottom