1. Welcome to Oklahoma Shooters Association! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.
  2. All members receive 3 free listings a month. Get unlimited listings for just $10 a year! Click here for all the info.

Suppressors

Discussion in 'Handgun Discussion' started by DavidMcMillan, Apr 14, 2021.

1. BobbyV

BobbyV Uh huh . . . sure

Supporter
    Rating
    100%
    There's an extremely knowledgeable group on Facebook (I know, stop laughing) called Form 1 Basics. They also have a forum. Lots of great info available about building your own suppressor.

Oklahomabassin, O4L and DavidMcMillan like this.
  2. Catt57

Catt57 Gill-Gun Guru

Supporter
    Rating
    100%
    Have to admit.. that took me a minute... :clap3:

O4L and DavidMcMillan like this.
  3. JD8

JD8 Sharpshooter

Supporter
    Rating
    100%
    What caused me to want one in the first place? Giggle factor after shooting one nearly 15 years ago.

Is it worth the time and expense. Yes. Objectively, as much as anything else relating to shooting is?

I've never heard anyone buy one and call it a gimmick?

Other reasons others give to buy one....

Less Noise
    Less Flash
    Less recoil
    Higher Accuracy

Highly recommend just getting a .22 suppressor for starters to see if you like it. Again, never heard anyone regret that purchase but that's just me.

4. Oklahomabassin

Oklahomabassin Sharpshooter

Rating
    100%
    Definitely not a gimmick. Enough reduction of noise that I try to avoid shooting with others that don't use a suppressor. Practicing with a suppressor vs without is much more comfortable.

Hunting allows me to easily hear the impact on the game. Often times when trying to shoot multiples such as feral pigs, one can sometimes shoot the furthest pig and cause the pigs to run toward you instead of away.

I hear lots of excuses: Doesn't really help, The wait, The cost.
    I believe cost is the only valid reason because obviously a suppressor is more of a luxury item than a necessity and food, housing and clothing are definitely more important.
    The wait... ha ha ha. How is that valid? You are avoiding (prolonging) the wait by not getting the process started. I think the real excuse is about the money and some are as tight lipped about the reason as they are with their wallet.

5. MacFromOK

MacFromOK Sharpshooter

Supporter
    Rating
    100%
    While I would kinda like to build one, I'm also a bit concerned about volunteering (and actually payin' $200) to get on a government list as a bona fide firearm owner.

Yeah, yeah, I know... 4473s may turn out to be more/less a list anyway, but I'm guessin' tax stamp owners will still be at the top.

Just another tinfoil hat rambling... :drunk2:

xjer and DavidMcMillan like this.
  6. OKNewshawk

OKNewshawk Sharpshooter

Supporter
    Rating
    100%
    Then you might want to reconsider. I saw on Guns and Gadgets earlier today that the Democrats are talking about raising the tax stamp fee to $300.

Sent from my LGL722DL using Tapatalk

7. dennishoddy

dennishoddy Sharpshooter

Supporter
    Rating
    100%
    I fought the notion of the $200 tax for years and finally put it behind me while waiting for the 6 month waiting period. Yeah it's not an official "waiting period", but that seems to be the minimum one has to wait to get a tube with baffles in it while one can get a lethal firearm in minutes.

jackary likes this.
  8. PBramble

PBramble I need TP

Supporter
    Rating
    100%
    If only all those gangsters of the prohibition era hadn't used them on their revolvers, we could still buy them in the local hardware store.
    Stupid .gov

BobbyV and dennishoddy like this.
  9. dennishoddy

dennishoddy Sharpshooter

Supporter
    Rating
    100%
    The same suppressors we are paying $600 + for in the US are available for $150 on the shelf in Cape Town Africa, no paperwork required.
    I know several guys that have taken a safari buy one and then give it away before coming home.
    It appears we are getting screwed twice if that is true.

BobbyV and Seadog like this.
  10. jackary

jackary Marksman

I will say I think there is way more innovation in the suppressors manufactured here in the states but we should definitely be able to buy one off a shelf and walk out with it the same day.