SVT 40 7.62x54 ????

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dirty Dave

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Not sure about the specifics of the gun but I will get them. My great aunt and uncle called today and wanted to know if I was interested in a few guns. They are 75 yrs old and on a fixed income. I'm buying a glock,and an sks from them. He has a SVT 40 Russian rifle and some ammo also. He's had it for 20 yrs. Its hard to talk to him on the phone. But I guess he got it from a gunsmith that died 20 yrs ago, some friend of his. Supposed to to in perfect original condition. Has the cleaning kit,mag pouch,detachable mag. I really don't know if they're worth anything(I know they're worth something but what). I've looked them up but there's not a lot about the. Seems like everything as far as pricing goes is from 3-4 yrs ago. What do they go for nowadays. I know it all depends on condition. I'm not a MilSurp guy at all. But I do know I'm getting a good deal on it. Anyone on here have one???? Anything to look for??? I'm buying it no matter what to help them out. I'm also keeping it no matter what because he was my favorite uncle. Is there a place in tulsa that has one for sale so I can look at it and compare condition? Thoughts from the MilSurp pros???

30BulletHoles

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I'm not as familiar with them as I'd like to be but there is a difference in price. Correct stock and flashhider/muzzlebrake, year of production etc. There's a lot of info on gunboards forum. I haven't seen any for sale in a shop or gunshow for awhile but would love to have one.

hk33

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
I bought one for 600 a number of years ago. I would have to have at least $900 to even think about selling ( it's not for sale). These used to be pretty rare but in the past 20 years a number if them were imported. The newer imported ones have an import mark on the receiver. The mark was made prior to the ATF changing the rules on engraving size so it is very small you have to look close. These also have purple looking refinished bolts and stenciled numbers to match. A non-imported svt with a original in the white bolt and all matching would be worth about twice what the newer import ones are worth. Also the ones with the scope mount rail on the receiver a worth a little more.

MP43

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
SVT40 is a cool find.
I'm no expert, but have owned one for several years, and know a bit about them.
There were 3 makers. Tula, Ishevsk and Kovrov. Kovrovs are the rarest.
If still in completely original condition, an early production rifle should have a muzzle brake with six vertical slots per side. Later had two square cutouts per side. Early will have a pivoting front sling swivel, later will have a fixed swivel that is integral to the barrel band. Early receivers were machined for a scope mount, this was omitted on later production rifles. Scopes and mounts are available, but not inexpensive.
If the stock has a cut out for the safety on either side of the trigger guard, it indicates the stock is from the full-auto version. Full-auto stocks are also thicker and heavier through the wrist area. Many rifles that were originally full auto were later converted to semi. The heavier stocks were also frequently added during rebuilds, since the lighter stocks are somewhat crack prone.
The majority of SVTs have a rear sling swivel beneath the stock. A sling attachment inletted into the stock itself (like a 91/30) indicates Naval Infantry issue.
Many of the SVT40s in the U.S. have "SA" Finnish-capture markings. I can't tell that capture markings effect value one way or another. Most will also exhibit electro-penciled markings and other evidence of rebuilding. Non-rebuilds are worth more. Likewise, early features, a Naval Infantry stock and Kovrov production will all add value, all else being equal.
I haven't run across one for sale for less than a grand in some time. If I knew where one was for sale for $600.00, I'd jump on it without hesitation. Typical asking prices I see these days are in the $1200-$1500.00 range, depending on condition and rarity.
They're fun to shoot, but I don't shoot mine all that often, given that parts are somewhat scarce, and its a pain to clean compared to something like a Mosin-Nagant. I only shoot non-corrosive light ball in it, because its easier on the gun, and the cleaning issue again. If its not convenient to clean it immediately after shooting, I don't feel guilty about it like I would with corrosive ammo.
Anyway, neat rifle. Looking forward to pics.

Dirty Dave

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Thank you MP43 for the response. This purchase is cutting into some of my current projects ,you know what they are. I will try and post some pics when it's in my hands. What make is yours? What muzzle brake?

HK33 is yours imported or non imported?? What muzzle brake??

I need some pics guys. Is there a good website you all go to to look around?

Dirty Dave

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
As long as were on this topic, if anyone has one they would sell I'd pay market value...cash and will travel.

Is there a place around Tulsa to take it for appraisal. How do you find out market value?? Do you guys just look at yours and kinda evaluate everything. Then make up a value? Cause I haven't even seen this gun and I'm excited!! I don't even know what I'm looking at.

Latest posts

Top Bottom