Swedish Training Ammo. How does it work?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ratski

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I know it has been a while since the Swedish Training Ammo was all over the market.

I’ve tried before to get one of the smoothbore Uzi conversion barrels in the past, to no avail, so I’m looking at having one or so made.

If anyone knows about this ammo, I’d appreciate some help.

The blue nose of the ammo houses a steel BB. I’ve read that this is 5.3mm in diameter.
First question would be: Is this correct and accurate.

Next question is this:

How does this ammo actually work?

It is not a sabot type ammunition thru the subkal barrels.
The BB gets pushed thru the barrel.
What happens to the blue plastic that houses the BB?
Does it disintegrate during the powder ignition?
Does it all get ejected along with the spent brass?
Does it combust?

My guess is that it disintegrates and gets blown out the ejection port of the open bolt.

How much of this stuff can go down the barrel?
I have had one of my barrels bored out and there was a bunch of this blue crap down the barrel.
Is that what caused the failure?
Or was it the pinging of the barrel and a squib like occurance?

Just trying to wrap my head around this.

BTW, if anyone has one of the barrels for sale, let me know. Especially one of the smoothbore ones.

Dave

ronny

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I don't know the answers to all your questions, but I am aware that the Swedes used wooden bullets for training. They had a device which fit on the end of the barrel that would shred the wooden slug when it emerged from the barrel.

The Czechs had a 7.62x54 training round which had either a plastic or hollow core, round-nosed round which was around 3/8 " shorter than a standard round. It did, however, actually go down-range and is sometimes used in hunting.

I've not seen, or heard of the round you describe. Sorry.

ratski

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Dave,
Are you referring to 9mm training ammo or the 6.5 stuff the Swedes used in the rifles?

The 9mm training ammo. It has a steel BB in the nose, surrounded by a blue plastic/composite material. The bullet and brass have a blue ring sealer around them and the primer (I think) is also sealed with a blue sealant.

I'm trying to have a barrel made for my Uzi. I have several of the old style barrels, but they are mainly .22 cal barrel inserts bonded to a regular 9mm barrel. They are rifled and I think that the forcing cone is shortened.

The guys that I'm talking to have a hard time understanding how the round is not a sabot round with the entire 9mm plastic round nose going down the barrel.

Dave

Latest posts

Top Bottom