Swiss K31 vs. Remington M700

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

z06man

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Most of the surplus GP11 that I've seen is marked match grade. I've been told from several sources its preety hard to beat with handloads. I have a feeling that the K31 can hold its own as long as the barrel is actually free floating.

GP11 is the Swiss standard issue ammo. That said, it is usually considered at/near match quality my most K31 shooters.

I've been using the clamp on mounts too. They work extremely well and you can really use them almost as a QD mount. They are a little annoying though because they mount off center to the right. That makes you have to kinda lean your head over the butt to align your eye to the scope.

Perplexed

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
As far as accuracy goes, I will say both rifles are both accurate enough to do the job they were intended to do.

Some interesting information posted here. As someone mentioned, the K31 in its standard configuration can be gotten for less than $300 for a walnut-stocked version; the beech-stocked issues go for a bit less. Even then, it's not unusual to find a K31 that has MOA accuracy with the standard-issue GP-11 ammo. With a St. Marie clamp-on scope mount and a Weaver K4-1 scope, my K31 is easily the most accurate rifle I own for 100-yard shooting. Heck, with a P/S diopter sight, the K31 is scarily accurate.

So for a M700 to be comparable to a K31 in terms of accuracy, you'd have to sink quite a bit of money into the former, it would seem.

doctorjj

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
GP11 is the Swiss standard issue ammo. That said, it is usually considered at/near match quality my most K31 shooters.

I've been using the clamp on mounts too. They work extremely well and you can really use them almost as a QD mount. They are a little annoying though because they mount off center to the right. That makes you have to kinda lean your head over the butt to align your eye to the scope.

I just bought my first K31. I'm a lefty so maybe this clamp on would be good??

Perplexed

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I just bought my first K31. I'm a lefty so maybe this clamp on would be good??

Do you have a dickens of a time operating the straight pull of the right-handed bolt? But if you don't mind that arrangement, a St. Marie clamp-on mount would be nice for a leftie. You might have to work on your cheek weld though, perhaps even get a cheek pad much like the one on a M1C or M1D.

doctorjj

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I haven't picked it up yet, so I don't know. I've been shooting regular right handed bolt actions my whole life. I suppose I'll be able to manage.

Latest posts

Top Bottom