Taking my son's guns to him in MO

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chuter

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Legal question for you guys.
My son owns an AR and a shotgun that he has kept at my house since he was living in OK.
He moved to MO several years ago and is now living there permanently.
Can I just drive his guns to his home in MO and give them to him, or is there more to it than that?
I don't think he has any receipts for the original purchase of them.

I've searched a bit and haven't found info on this particular situation.

Thanks!

chuter

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score

Tanis143

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Really, I figure if I don't get stopped on the way up there, no problem.
Of course I can prove he's my son and he did live in OK.

I did find:
https://www.atf.gov/firearms/firearms-frequently-asked-questions-unlicensed-persons

In MO you don't have to have papers to own a firearm, private transfers are legal without a background check, and they are not a sissy state that shudders at those scary black rifles with their big...er.. magazines. You're good to go. However, make sure the AR and shotgun is in a case, unloaded and in the trunk or rear part of your car, as that covers any and all transport laws for long guns.

Tanis143

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Thanks guys, sounds like I'm good to go, I was just being a worrying Wally about the transporting/transferring.

Nothing wrong about that. I did the same thing when the wife and I were going to Branson for our initial Bluegreen visit and subsequent new owners orientation. Wanted to make sure I could transport my firearm with me. Best thing to do is look up their firearm laws and if in doubt call a local sheriff's office for guidence.

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
We would go to wife's grandparents in Missouri 2 times a year to visit them. They have a lot of acreage and I took my guns.
Kids and everyone would shoot there and grandparents had guns also.
Never had any issues.

Latest posts

Top Bottom