Talk to me about tomahawks

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

aviator41

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
I've carried an Axe in my truck since I can remember. It's used all the time to do all sorts of things. Endlessly useful, but mine is growing old, it's had a few too many hits to the shoulder, she's looking rough and it's time to retire her before she hurts me.

So, I'm thinking about replacing her with a tomahawk. Most of the time, it's used to cut small branches, make tent poles, move logs (that were cut with a chainsaw). I'm not sure a tomahawk would fit this position so well, but I'm ready for something that is all metal and the Downrange Tomahawk from Gerber is very enticing.

what say everyone? Buy another 'old faithful' single bit, replace the handle on the one I have, buy a nice Wetterlings or just go with a Tactical Tomahawk and be done with it?

I prefer the forestry axes to a smaller camping hatchet, but think the tomahawk might be a good compromise.

aviator41

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Last couple of times I've taken a file to her she's taken an edge, but I can tell the bevel and edge are not what they used to be. I don't remember where I got my last axe, but I don't think it was terribly expensive. This was right after the last sharpening. She has character for miles, but you can see where the shoulder has been abused.

[Broken External Image]

Wolf44

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
If you want the work horse, stay with the 'wood' grade tools.

If you want that 'tactical' aspect - Schrade SCAXE3 may be a good compromise, after that - RMJ, American Tomahawk, Omnivore, CRKT Johnson Kangee, Hardcore Hardware which surprising wasn't easy to find in Aussi land, K5, GG and G, and Dan Winkler for options.

Forgot the budget belter SOG's - work fine but not enough weight to do what I think you would intend... The SCAX has more head mass.

Or just wait longer - I hope to have a prototype in the near future.

Coded-Dude

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I carry an old estwing roofing hammer(from my former days as a framer) and a cold steel tomahawk in one of my bags and it goes with me everywhere. I have thought about getting a small axe/hatchet, but I like the tomahawk because I can take the head off and it makes for easier storage/carry in my bag. I can do quite a bit of cutting/splitting with these two tools.

[Broken External Image]

www.swords24.eu_images_products_en_Tomahawk_Cold_Steel_Pipe_Hawk_90PHH.jpg

white92coupe

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Check out the Cold Steel Trench Hawk. I have one, and I love it. I've used it to help cut down cedar trees, and trim out stands numerous times. I wanted a hatchet/small axe for camping/BOB. It has a longer handle for tougher jobs, but can be held higher up for more precision work. Sharp as hell from the factory too.

Latest posts

Top Bottom