Target Stand

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Hmmm... won't that launch ricochets upward instead of downward?
Bullets splatter when hitting steel. lead or jacketed. There are trenches around our steel on the ground where the splatter hits.
The bullet remaining in one piece after hitting steel to ricochet is a myth.
That being said, hitting the edge and not getting a complete splatter can result in bigger fragments that lose most of their velocity before hitting the back berm and impacting.
Our berms are over 20' tall, with the steel backing up to the berms. Any ricochets would have to go pretty much vertical to exit the bays.

MacFromOK

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The bullet remaining in one piece after hitting steel to ricochet is a myth.
No one said they do. :D

But I've seen posts where hanging steel targets should be angled, so the splatter chunks go toward the ground. And the trenches in front of your targets are a prime example. I wouldn't want that splatter launched upward.

Just my two cents. YMMV. ;)

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
No one said they do. :D
Oh yeah they do. Some of the fudds that fought against any steel on the range without knowledge of what really happens did. LOL. (same ones that shoot the heck out of it now)

But I've seen posts where hanging steel targets should be angled, so the splatter chunks go toward the ground. And the trenches in front of your targets are a prime example. I wouldn't want that splatter launched upward.

Just my two cents. YMMV. ;)
Some certainly goes up. Our forward falling steel and all of the hanging steel is inclined downward a few degrees to direct the majority of splatter down, but some goes up.
It's not uncommon at a match to feel something, look down and see a pin head size piece of lead on your arm 30 yds back from the steel if the wind is right, or if your lawn chair is not occupied for a bit, there will be lead particles on the seat.
Some ranges have steel targets that are not inclined. Basically steel plates on pedestals sitting on top of a post to knock over.
USPSA rules say no steel can be shot by contestants within 23 feet with a handgun, 147 feet with a rifle, 23 feet with a shotgun using birdshot.

gerhard1

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
My Challenger reactive target stand arrived yesterday. The lumber yard is closed so I'll have to wait until Monday to get a 2x4. I think the first gun I use on it will be my 610.

gerhard1

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I was somewhat surprised that I put it together as quickly as I did. All I have to do now is to tighten some nuts and bolts and get the appropriate lumber and I'll be in business.

Latest posts

Top Bottom