Targets at the Range

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BikerHT

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Just wanted to share a couple pics of some targets out behind my house. This set is about 112 yds from my shooting spot. I have another set at 28 yds. Since I work outta town a lot, I love to get home & make a lot of noise!

Target.jpg
Target1.jpg

FRISKY

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
^^^ ...and maybe, as a safety precaution, attach the straps to a longer bolt behind the steel so that the plate has a bit of angle to it.

jc5420

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I would not be shooting at steel that soft any closer than 300y personally. I have some soft steel targets that I setup at 400 and further and from time to time you can see the projectiles launch off the plates pretty far.

druryj

In Remembrance / Dec 27 2021
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I too, have felt the sting of pieces of projectiles coming back at me off steel...and have observed a sliver of a cooper jacket lodged in the abdomen of a fellow shooter. Gotta be careful off steel, but man is it ever fun to shoot!

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I think what they are getting at is that soft steel like that will crater with high power rifle hits. If you hit those craters again, the round will likely break up and come directly back at you instead of splattering into the dirt around the target.
You really need AR-500 steel. It's hardened, and a .300 win mag round just disintegrates.
I just left our range or I would have taken pics of our range steel.
It's slightly canted down so the majority of debris is directed downward.
We have a couple dozen falling steel poppers on our pistol bays for shooting USPSA matches as well as hanging steel on the 100 & 300 yd bays.

Latest posts

Top Bottom